'The Norfolk Broads Phenomenon'

is available on Amazon in ebook format.

Click here to find out more on Amazon.
Norfolk Broads Forum is more than happy to promote local businesses and services free of charge.
Contact NBF with your details and we'll get you posted.

Exploring the Mysteries of an Abandoned Boat Wreck: A Hidden Gem on the North Broads

Vlog series on Youtube
NBF
Site Admin

Exploring the Mysteries of an Abandoned Boat Wreck: A Hidden Gem on the North Broads

Post by NBF »

Greetings, dear readers! In this article, I am delighted to share with you a fascinating discovery that unfolded during a recent exploration in less-than-ideal weather conditions. While facing the challenges of filming indoors due to unfavourable weather, my friend stumbled upon what I firmly believe to be the remnants of a reed cutter boat on the northern expanses of the Broads.

Allow me to provide you with a concise overview of this intriguing encounter. It all began when my friend, accompanying me on a boat for the second time within just two weeks, came across what appeared to be a wrecked Broads boat. What makes this discovery particularly peculiar is that it was situated in a location I have frequented numerous times before.

For those unacquainted with the type of vessel, it is essentially an obsolete wooden barge that hails from a bygone era, predating the existence of railways. These vessels were once crucial for retrieving reeds presumably for roofing houses and barns etc.

I believe it to be a historic relic left to sink and be forgotten, likely dating back 100 or so years.

The picturesque setting of the North Broads, combined with the allure of uncovering a forgotten piece of maritime history, sets the stage for a truly captivating exploration.

Venturing further, the journey takes us to a quaint and seemingly overlooked location — a parish staithe, or so it appears. What adds to the intrigue is the fact that this aspect had eluded my notice on previous visits.
Webmaster of the Norfolk Broads Forum