'The Norfolk Broads Phenomenon'

is available on Amazon in ebook format.

Click here to find out more on Amazon.
Norfolk Broads Forum is more than happy to promote local businesses and services free of charge.
Contact NBF with your details and we'll get you posted.

The Bison Electric Outboard: A Reliable Trolling Motor for Inland Waterways

Welcome to the forum.
NBF
Site Admin

The Bison Electric Outboard: A Reliable Trolling Motor for Inland Waterways

Post by NBF »

533.jpg
533.jpg (26.88 KiB) Viewed 2706 times
As an experienced boater, I have had the opportunity to use the Bison Electric Outboard extensively on inland waterways. This trolling motor is designed for small dinghies, canoes, kayaks, lightweight fishing boats, and rowing boats. I decided to put this electric motor to the test on a Broom Saturn speedboat, which weighed more than 400 kilograms, despite it not being its intended purpose. The waters were calm, and I had a supply of solar panels and 12-volt leisure batteries, making it too tempting to resist.

The first thing I noticed was that after using the electric motor, I was always left with a flat battery. Even with the introduction of 200-watt solar panels, I was unable to fully charge the battery, even in the greatest sunshine. While the solar panels were useful, it quickly became apparent that a portable 12-volt leisure battery that could be easily removed at the end of the boating session was essential. The battery also had to be lightweight, but this was not the case. It was very heavy, and I strongly recommend paying extra for a purpose-built leisure battery case designed to be portable. Once you're done boating, you can pull it out and take it away to recharge.

While solar panels are great, they serve to top up batteries rather than deep cycle charge. With multiple speed settings on the Bison Electric Motor, it's best to go slow. Just stick it on the lowest setting and bring some patience into the boat trip. Putting the speed setting onto its highest setting does kick in with some torque, and the vessel will respond favourably. However, the power draw is very high, and the battery levels will drop immediately. It's essential to note that trolling motors are not designed for racing across the breaking waves of a seashore. Instead, they are designed as an additional engine on top of a petrol outboard or for pushing a canoe or kayak along.

A hydrodynamic vessel like a canoe, with a sensible selected speed, can cover some miles. If you go on the lowest speed setting, you can make a round trip of approximately six to eight miles, taking into account that the boat was not far from half a ton in weight, and there were no strong currents, etc. A kayak or similar would be able to make the same journey with significantly more speed.

If I were to purchase another Bison Electric Motor, I would use it on a hard-hulled kayak or canoe, or as an additional outboard motor on a dinghy as a backup or for quiet travel as required for fishing. My only negative experience with this electric outboard motor was noticing that the bracket fixing bolts began to rust. These are where the outboard attaches to the transom of a vessel. I found it odd that they were not stainless steel. To be fair, the outboard was left outside throughout the season. However, the corrosion was minimal and possibly may not have happened if the engine had been removed after each use.

One final experience I would like to add is that the electric outboard motor is so quiet to use that I recall travelling along the river one sunny afternoon and hearing a slight rustling in the reeds on the riverbank. A beautiful deer poked its head above the reeds out of pure curiosity to see what I was. Normally, the deer would be invisible with the sounds of the thumping inboard diesel engines of boats.

In conclusion, the Bison Electric Outboard is an excellent trolling motor for small boats on inland waterways. With a portable leisure battery and a sensible selected speed, you can cover some miles while enjoying the tranquillity of nature.

Buy a Bison outboard here https://amzn.to/441sbE9

Webmaster of the Norfolk Broads Forum