mobile internet on the Broads?

All liveaboard related posts.
Terry

mobile internet on the Broads?

Post by Terry » June 12th, 2017, 9:13 pm

I thought I'd split my many questions between this board and the 'Marine Technical Q&A' :)
I'm sure this has been discussed on other forums, but I don't visit them, so:
Can anyone recommend the best network for mobile internet on the Broads? I'm with giffgaff atm (runs on O2) and have just upgraded to 'always on' data (£20 a month).
At first glance this seems quite a steal but, on reading further, they apparently start monitoring usage after the first 6Gb, with specific mention of tethering...
What networks do you all use, and how good are they?

I've got wild staring eyes, and I've got a strong urge to fly ... but I've got nowhere to fly to

High Seas

Re: mobile internet on the Broads?

Post by High Seas » June 19th, 2017, 8:47 am

I used Giff Gaff once and once only....absolute primates.
I used to go to the north terminal at Gatwick airport and would get a great signal.So good in fact that I would download a film really quickly as in minutes.
Giff Gaff would then suspend my service untill I re-read the terms on 'tethering' which I was not doing before reconnecting me. They did this more times than I can remember.
The beat signal seems to be Vodafone and ee but there data deals are total shite.
I have always used 3 as yoy get unlimited data and the only dodgy areas are Brundall on the south and Horning on the north.It was £15 but now £25. Well worth it in my opinion as that is on pay and go.

Terry

Post by Terry » June 19th, 2017, 8:51 am

Wow, thanks. I was literally just then googling that...
Regarding giffgaff - great provider for my phone, but a 6Gb limit a month on tethering is useless. I'll have a look at three, now.
What sort of price does an ok dongle run to, nowadays?
I've got wild staring eyes, and I've got a strong urge to fly ... but I've got nowhere to fly to

Terry

Post by Terry » June 19th, 2017, 9:22 am

It seems Three have a 30Gb tethering limit, but I imagine I could live with that, and their prices work out the cheapest I can see, for that much data.
For anyone else wondering the same thing, their current prices for 30Gb range from £19 to £29, depending whether you want a one-month or 12-month contract, and how many minutes of talk-time you want included.
Looks like I'll be switching to them.
Giffgaff seem a bit arsey about their tethering policy. I guess you wore out your welcome with random precision...

High Seas

Post by High Seas » June 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

No it was their fat psychopathic wives. Good one though.

Terry

Post by Terry » June 19th, 2017, 10:10 am

Hahaha, I could do this all day. Massive '70s-era Floyd fan, here. I won't, though, since the element of surprise would be lost now. You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to, so that when they turn their backs on you you'll get the chance to put the knife in.
:lol:

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » June 28th, 2017, 8:00 pm

I have had a personal wifi Ramadan and it has been hell.....no internet for most of June.
All I can say is before the internet I must have been one :twisted: bored mofo because it is hideous.
If You Lay Down With Dogs, You Get Up With Fleas :roll:

Terry

Post by Terry » June 28th, 2017, 9:12 pm

I've literally just received my Three sim and plugged into my dual-sim phone (until I get hold of a cheap dongle) about ten minutes ago, and am now enjoying 30Gb mobile internet with no tethering limit for £19 per month :) Looks like it might be bye-bye giffgaff...

High Seas

Post by High Seas » June 29th, 2017, 1:17 pm

Just got into Loddon, nice place.

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » June 29th, 2017, 2:30 pm

That has to be a contract right?
If You Lay Down With Dogs, You Get Up With Fleas :roll: