Merry Christmas Folks!

Hit by another hire boat

The Norfolk Broads is famous worldwide for its hire boat industry. Post your questions, answers, or experiences relating to Norfolk Broads boat hire here!
David

Hit by another hire boat

Post by David » October 13th, 2018, 5:58 pm

Well this is not my season not only did I get hit while at my home mooring damaging my boarding ladder (which Richardsons are having to fix) I was moored up at St Bennit’s today and another Richos boat it me at full pelt right down my starboard side “agh”😡
A boat makes a big hole in the water in to which you throw money

Hylander

Re: Hit by another hire boat

Post by Hylander » October 14th, 2018, 8:30 am

Oh dear not good at all. Just hope Richardsons can get you back on the water pdq.

David

Post by David » October 14th, 2018, 8:54 am

Luckily I escaped with two very black marked fenders and a couple of scrapes to the hull

David

Post by David » October 14th, 2018, 11:51 am

Ha and now at Sutton Staith and just had a model RC boat hit the stern 😀

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » October 14th, 2018, 3:07 pm

Had a nasty whack a little while ago at Sutton Staithe and was really offered an offensively small settlement. :twisted:

I pursued to deal directly with the company with facts and not emotions and finally got a settlement some 25 times greater than the initial one.

Point being here, do not tolerate it from the hire boat companies....or anyone else.

If you boat gets hit and gets damaged, the people who hit you are responsible and the owner of the boat is too.

You may initially get treated like a fool and tested but the only thing that penetrates armour plating is the truth.

Life is short, even on its longest day....don't let people who are interested in profit before safety ruin your pride and joy, or your boat.

This is the Norfolk Broads, it is not a dodgem park.
⛵ Life is short, even on its longest day ⛵

David

Post by David » October 15th, 2018, 5:04 pm

Well we have made the decision to move moorings from Richo's to Broards Edge, hopefully that will help to eliviate getting hit while on our mooring as we will not have the hire boats passing us on Fridays Saturday's and Monday's as it does get very busy, if they have 100 boats go out on a turnaround day that's 100 boats in 100 boats out on trial runs then 100 boats back in off trial runs then 100 boats back out with hirers at the helm, that's 400 boats passing our mooring not including other hire boats from other yards going to moor in Richo's yard, now we have a 35ft boat we stick out into the river further than the boats moored near us.

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » October 18th, 2018, 10:07 am

In the high season I don't like to even moor up on that Goose Green corner. I have been whacked there a good few times.
The boats come out way too fast and are in the hands of inexperienced boaters, in many cases already with cans of lager in hand.
Its difficult for many people to share their true views of the hire boat industry especially if they have a mooring on a boat hire yard.
This year was particularly difficult because the only safe moorings were permanently occupied at Stalham Staithe and remain so to this day sadly. I think the solution there would be to charge people to stay like at Womack.
I have seen some really shocking boat crashes this year and every single time it was a Richardson's boat.
On one particular day it took me nearly ten minutes to get passed Broads Edge marina towards the staithe as the sheer quantity of boats coming out of Richardsons brought the whole river to a standstill. Boats were speeding out of there, on the wrong side of the river and all total chaos. Now I avoid that area before 9 am when they all come back in and in the afternoon when they are having their 100 yard tuition.

David

Post by David » October 18th, 2018, 6:14 pm

Yes this year has had some of the worst helmsmanship I have seen in 4 years of being moored at Richo’s ,even this time of year is normally better with fishermen hiring boats as they normally have more experience but alas that’s not been the case with some truly bad boat control being witnessed

David

Post by David » October 28th, 2018, 8:57 am

Well we have moved to Broards Edge, very quiet and peaceful and the best bit is he does not allow fishing, so no more dodging bloody great poles when trying to drive off the site, just waiting for an electric point mooring to come available and all will be good 👍🏻

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » October 28th, 2018, 10:42 am

Good stuff