• Administrator
  •  
    Advertising Is FREE On This Forum!
    You Can Support This Forum By Clicking The Advertisements.

Some Modifications.

An extension of the YouTube channel for contact, photos & updates etc.
Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Some Modifications.

Post by Dances With Otters » November 26th, 2017, 3:14 pm

Just working on a hatch garage or shroud for the boat.
Annoying thing is it will all have to be dismantled for Epoxy coating afterwards.
The idea is to create a purpose area for a rigid solar and prevent wave ingress when at sea.
I have been experimenting with solar for some time and prefer the rigids for heat dissipation and they last longer.
Flexible are more expensive, fit better but don't last.
Attachments
2017-11-26_03-07-35.jpg

⛵ Life is short, even on its longest day ⛵

Waylander

Re: Some Modifications.

Post by Waylander » November 26th, 2017, 10:00 pm

I too prefer the rigid panels, have tried both and found you get more wiggly amps from the rigid and you can clean them, the flexible ones scratch easily and the flexi ones that are all bumpy and non slip for walking on are terrible as not only do the bumps collect dirt but they stop you cleaning them properly! Solar panels need to be clean to work properly. My two rigid ones from
China via E bay give me 40w which is enough to keep my stereo on all day or the fridge on most of the day in the summer. One thing to make sure of though is the regulator.... A lot of these regulators have only got very small cable terminals and a lot of solar panels have nice big chunky cables so how are you expected to get the cable into the terminal? You join a thin guage wire to the thick cable so it will fit in the terminal....the wiggly amps from the panel really need to have nice thick cables to go down and a thinner cable don't let that happen! I treat electrics as water- both can kill you in great quantities so it's quite apt and both want the same things.... The battery is a water butt, the cables are the hoses, you want to fill your water butt ( battery) up with as much water (electricity-volts and really it's amps you are putting in) as fast as you can. So to do this real quick you use a big hose ( big wire in cross sectional area of the wire- not thick insulation and thin wire) but if your hose is too thick to go on the tap and you join a thinner hose onto it so it fits ( thick wire to thin wire so it will go on regulator terminal) it's no good having the thick hose because the water will only go as fast as the little hose will let it..... Same with wiring! I shopped around on e bay until I found a regulator that had big terminals so I could use the biggest cable I could. It works, the water analogy.... Just think of the wiggly amps as water that you are trying to shove around and it makes electrics easier.... Least it does for me and in the long run if you use too big a cable it may only cost you more but if you use too small a cable it may cost you less initially but if it's not up to the job it may melt or catch fire and you could lose your boat!!!
Let the world flood! I live on a boat! :lol: