Merry Christmas Folks!

Start Of Boat Season At Conflict With Wildlife?

All posts relating to environmental issues of the Norfolk Broads.
Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Start Of Boat Season At Conflict With Wildlife?

Post by Dances With Otters » April 7th, 2018, 7:34 am

Mute Swans Nesting-1200x800.jpg
If you cruise alone the reeds slowly in Barton Broad, Sutton Broad or anywhere where there are in fact reeds, whilst keeping an eye out. You will quickly begin to notice that the reeds are literally full of birds sitting in their nests.

Although the swan nests are huge, they tend to be a metre or two back from the water and only the flicker of a white swan neck gives it away to be honest.

However, the geese and ducks have their nests so near to the water's edge that they are almost floating on the water.

Allegedly, now the waterways are a national park with a primary focus on conservation, so why would they promote the introduction of such a large amount of boats back into the water at a time when nature is really about to deliver it's new offspring to the area?

Surely, to delay the stampede of boats for another 2/3 weeks would obviously benefit the birdlife immensely.
This coupled with the ever increasing rubbish on the Norfolk Broads encourages me to not believe a word any organisation tells me with regards to the waterway's conservation.

For my understanding of conservation it is not apparent and in fact what I see is the complete opposite.
Profit before conservation and profit before safety.
Sometimes people are just so full of ****, their eyes should be brown
:cry: :evil: :roll:
Sutton.jpg
⛵ Life is short, even on its longest day ⛵

Hylander

Re: Start Of Boat Season At Conflict With Wildlife?

Post by Hylander » April 7th, 2018, 8:09 am

The birds will survive, there have been far more hire boats in past years , if anything it is purported to be quieter than it used to be. Life goes on. The birds nests bob about on the water's edge and it is lovely to see them.
Last edited by Hylander on April 7th, 2018, 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » April 7th, 2018, 8:12 am

I would quite happily agree to a non movement period. Just like the fishing season. The benefits would be enormous.

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » April 7th, 2018, 8:14 am

Also people win the lottery every week.
Remember......it could be you.
🎯

Hylander

Post by Hylander » April 7th, 2018, 8:18 am

The reason I edited my post is because I realised you were speaking about the holiday season rather than all of the time (need to go to specsavers) if only people were informed about the wildlife before they come on holiday as has been suggested on here before in the way of a booklet explaining about the bird life.

Miles can I just say you have a way with words at times. Tut Tut ie eyes being brown.

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » April 7th, 2018, 8:32 am

It's the benefits of having a forum. :lol:
No longer do I suffer at the hands of having my comments censored :twisted: :roll: :evil: but can actually get my point across, so hopefully positive change can come about.
Benefits for all users of the Norfolk Broads. The hirers get better tuition, the liveaboards get the opportunity to enjoy the waterways without persecution unless they warrant it, the rubbish bins get returned asap and the wildlife gets to enjoy the same freedoms without being tortured by our waste and neglect.
Having spent four years or should I say having been fortunate to spend four years doing this, I can conclude that there is room for improvement. If I can leave this wonderful waterways and give something back then I will be satisfied.
The only way to give back is to make sure it survives, and so does the wildlife and so do the boaters too. ⛵

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » April 7th, 2018, 8:38 am

And I have just been whacked again but I am not losing my Zen. :roll: :roll: :roll: