• Administrator
  •  
    Advertising Is FREE On This Forum!
    You Can Support This Forum By Clicking The Advertisements.

Ventilation

Share or ask any marine related technical information about not just Norfolk Broads boats but all vessels in general and help others to fix their boats.
Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Re: Ventilation

Post by Dances With Otters » November 7th, 2017, 2:28 pm

It actually looks rather good too. I would imagine the noise is nothing to moan about as on a computer it is not an issue.
⛵ Life is short, even on its longest day ⛵

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » November 7th, 2017, 2:29 pm

I think you are right about using mesh too as boats are dusty.

nimue

Post by nimue » November 7th, 2017, 2:49 pm

The smallest fan fitted inside the pipe is a bit noisier as it spins faster and the pipe amplifies it a little bit like when you put a shell to your ear, but it really isn't intrusive. I'm working on a way to baffle it without restricting the flow.
The whole project was pretty much made up in my head as I went along as an experiment so no doubt with a bit more thought the whole system can be improved. I'm looking at more ventilation perhaps using the lightweight flexible ducting that they use to extract warm air from the outlet of tumble driers so I may be able to reduce the fan's down to just one that way.
So long as the stale damp air is being removed and being replaced with fresh air the boat should be a lot happier in the winter.

I'll let you know if I come up with any modifications.

nimue

Post by nimue » November 7th, 2017, 3:15 pm

Something like this might be adapted with longer hose, and the fittings wouldn't look too out of place.
It might be possible to add extra vents throughout the boat wherever you need them and then put a fan to draw the air to an outlet.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-tumb ... 7QodJf0Nrg

nimue

Post by nimue » November 10th, 2017, 9:40 am

The ventilation has been running for a while now, and the difference is very noticeable.
Interestingly, the only condensation we get is behind any closed curtain now, so instead of completely pulling the curtain, we leave a small gap and that does the job.
We still get a bit on the window in the galley while we're cooking, but that soon clears when we have finished.
We put the heating on this morning for an hour, the sun is coming in through the windows it got so warm we turned it off. Right now its 22 degrees in the cabin, and a very pleasant 17 degrees in the wheelhouse. Lovely.

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » November 10th, 2017, 9:45 am

It sounds like you have it optimum. :D

Waylander

Post by Waylander » November 26th, 2017, 10:32 pm

Here's something for you lot and your fans, pun intended! Lol

There is a company online who sells solar powered fans, they are 12v and draw 0.13 of an amp which is a lot less than a computer fan does. The fans them selves are silent brushless types with blades like a nuke sub has, curved, so less noise. The company web site is www.CPSSOLAR.CO.UK tell no is 07745927055 I'm not connected with this company in any way but I did buy a fan off them with the intention of fitting it behind my fridge to draw the excess heat away in the summer and power it by the included with the fan solar panel. In the end though I used it as an extractor fan fitted into a porthole in my loo to vent the chemical loo smell outside!!! It ran all summer and did a brilliant job! I now have another under my bunk dragging the cold air out of my damp front locker and so stopping that condensation too. Brilliant fans! Hope I've attached the pictures successfully!
Let the world flood! I live on a boat! :lol:

nimue

Post by nimue » January 15th, 2018, 7:48 pm

Thought you might like an update on how the ventilation is working.
Well all I can say its a proper success.
I had to got into the deepenst darkest reacess of the forepeak locker today to dig something out which meant pulling loads of boxes and other stores out.
Its been at least three months since it was emptied.
Everything was bone dry, bl**dy brilliant! this time last year it would have been pretty manky in there so dead chuffed with the result.
Last winter we had an electric blanket in the aft cabin as it was a bit chilly going to bed, this winter we haven't turned it on once.

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » January 15th, 2018, 7:50 pm

Good stuff.