• Administrator
  •  
    Advertising Is FREE On This Forum!
    You Can Support This Forum By Clicking The Advertisements.

Challenger Boat Just Too big For The Broads

The Norfolk Broads is famous worldwide for its hire boat industry. Post your questions, answers, or experiences relating to Norfolk Broads boat hire here!
Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Challenger Boat Just Too big For The Broads

Post by Dances With Otters » August 13th, 2018, 2:31 pm

I have just arrived at Sutton Staithe and have been here less then 15 minutes.
The Challenger boat from Richardson's (aka Stag Party Boat) nearly crushed my transom.
If I hadn't been here, it would have most likely sunk my boat as it's back end aggressively swung around by the slipway next to the boatyard.
Is this really acceptable for huge hire boat companies to subject people to this level of harassment from oversized boats?
They are at times in the hands of what evidently was a person unable to control the boat effectively..
I don't care if people call me a hire boat hater because I know it's untrue.
I want nothing more than for people to enjoy the waterways.
What I can't understand, fathom or tolerate is why this problem continues to go on year after year and no improvement is ever made?
No matter how you look at it from any perspective, the hire boat industry has an enormous dark side and some company owners fail to acknowledge it, or confront it in any shape of form.
Why should I be paranoid to leave my boat when I go to the shops, or go out for a meal?
Why should I have to contend with hire boats smashing into my boats like it is normal? It is not normal, it is bloody ridiculous! :roll:
It appears to me that at the end of the day some very wealthy individuals are only concerned with becoming more wealthy at the cost of other boater's sanity on the Norfolk Broads.
I tell you what people, the hire boat industry is negligent for other people's safety, well being and possessions.
The next bloody hire boat that smashes into the side of one of my boats is going to see the largest public legal action taken against the hire boat industry in living history on the Norfolk Broads.
....They are negligent.
This industry is a disgrace and the regulation that is so desperately required is so, so overdue.
My apologies to all sensible boater's and hirers who take to the waters with courteousy and care, my disdain is not with you.
My dispute is with the corporate c*c*s*c*e*s who make this wonderful waterways like a Russian car crash video on YouTube.

⛵ Life is short, even on its longest day ⛵

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Re: Challenger Boat Just Too big For The Broads

Post by Dances With Otters » August 13th, 2018, 4:12 pm

Screenshot_20180813-160840.png
A boat that size, you should be navigated by a qualified skipper, someone with a ticket and Cevni, and it should not just be available to anyone with a credit card.

Oddly enough, that was not the one that nearly took my transom out but another came a while later.

John

Post by John » August 13th, 2018, 6:37 pm

The hire companys should watch the person manoeuvre in the boat yard.

David

Post by David » August 14th, 2018, 2:31 pm

To a degree they do you get 20min of river instruction st Richos wich surprisingly no body ever fails and then let out to create havoc and mayhem down the ant, and if you have hired before you don’t get any trial run unless you ask for it and as you know all boats handle differently, being on the 4th from the end moorings at Richardsons we get to witness quite a lot of disasters on the trial runs
A boat makes a big hole in the water in to which you throw money

Hylander

Post by Hylander » August 14th, 2018, 3:07 pm

Well if it makes you feel any better, son and daughter in law and girls have just returned from a boating trip in South of France. They said there was a Spanish boat on the river , smashed into several boats , damaging the boat and ripping off its fenders. The difference being they make you pay a returnable Damage waiver of £1500 which obviously the Spanish crew never saw back again.

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » August 14th, 2018, 3:13 pm

Interesting point which another boat raised recently. If hirers were made aware that they are responsible for damage and won't be covered by a collision damage waiver/buffer, then they will still enjoy their holiday which is what they should be doing and also they will be aware that they will have to pay if they bang another.
If someone does not take responsibility, then they pass a condition on to other people and that is like running up to strangers and jabbing them with an infectious needle.