• Administrator
  •  
    Advertising Is FREE On This Forum!
    You Can Support This Forum By Clicking The Advertisements.

Pie & Pastie Rip-Off Gays Staithe/Neatishead

General Norfolk Broads related posts.
Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Pie & Pastie Rip-Off Gays Staithe/Neatishead

Post by Dances With Otters » November 5th, 2018, 5:22 pm

I must tell you about my disappointment with a chap flogging pies and pasties at Gays Staithe and Neatished in 2017 and 2018.
In 2017, he would arrive by car wearing an apron and wander the staithe ringing a bell whilst declaring a local long history of family baking in Norfolk. On finding out the cost of one of his pasties which was £5.00, I immediately decided that spending £20 for a quick snack among four of us was a bit over the top.

The fact that he stated he would not be back today only to see him return some hours late made me even less likely to buy anything. :roll:

However, in the glorious summer of 2018, I decided to have a try of his cuisine quite late in the afternoon.

I asked what he had left and he told me he had a family size chicken pie.

My mouth began to salivate until he told me it was £7.00.

Seeing as I only had a fiver on me, I told him that and he quickly accepted my haggle, bagged a pie in a paper bag and promptly handed it to my partner.

Soon after, I decided to sample this family sized chicken pie.

I opened the bag in total horror, as I discovered a pie the size of a tea cup saucer, in fact it was the size of one out of a service station.

I don't know what family could make a meal out of that pie but I would imagine it would'nt satisfy Kylie Minogue after she had already eaten a woolly mammoth.

Now, I am all for public trading and it brings a sense of charm and character to the area but I can't help but wonder if anyone else has been ripped off by this bloke with his over priced and over stated produce? :twisted:

⛵ Life is short, even on its longest day ⛵

David

Re: Pie & Pastie Rip-Off Gays Staithe/Neatishead

Post by David » November 5th, 2018, 6:13 pm

I have sampled one of his pies this year, a sausage meat one, yes they are a bit pricey but it was quite a large pie would have served 4, if you were to do a weeks worth of food shopping from him you would need to take out a small mortgage, I think he aims his trade at the hire boat holiday makers
A boat makes a big hole in the water in to which you throw money

Hylander

Re: Pie & Pastie Rip-Off Gays Staithe/Neatishead

Post by Hylander » November 8th, 2018, 7:41 am

As he is selling food to the public , should he not have a licence? The Council usually checks out these sellers.