• Administrator
  •  
    Advertising Is FREE On This Forum!
    You Can Support This Forum By Clicking The Advertisements.

Cheeky Yacht Club

General Norfolk Broads related posts.
avg45

Cheeky Yacht Club

Post by avg45 » August 19th, 2018, 6:53 pm

Just came back from the Southern side of the Broads, and must say we had a great time however, due to the Moorings at Burgh Castle being unavailable due to closure we came down from Reedham and wanted to moor at the Berney Mill. on arriving at the Mill moorings, which are BA 24 hour moorings we found the only space available which had two red flags and a sign which said: Reserved Mooring for "Pelican"! ( not the one up north which is a wreck), but a boat belonging to an official of the Yare Yacht Club, which was having a race day on Breydon water. we did manage to moor just adjacent to this so called reserved space, but I never knew that it was possible to reserve a mooring on a BA public mooring. Now I am back home I am going to contact the BA and ask them to clarify their position on this as the Rangers on the Spirit of Breydon went past twice and took no notice whatsoever!!!!! :evil:

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Re: Cheeky Yacht Club

Post by Dances With Otters » August 20th, 2018, 2:15 am

Strange coincidence as the Pelican up here on the north Broads has reserved the Sutton Staithe mooring too, in fact it's been there since 25th June. :roll: :evil: :twisted: :roll:
⛵ Life is short, even on its longest day ⛵

avg45

Post by avg45 » August 20th, 2018, 5:45 pm

The difference being that the "Pelican" on the Southern Broads is a very nice boat but, still should not be able to actually reserve a mooring rather than just squat there as the Northern version of the "Pelican does. :evil: :twisted: :roll: :cry:

Hylander

Post by Hylander » August 20th, 2018, 7:10 pm

Be interesting to hear what the BA have to say.

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » August 21st, 2018, 11:21 am

The BA did permit one of the boats from that Neatishead charity to moor up at Hoveton St.John last year, or is it Jon?....as they were digging out the waterways.
Let us know is what you find out?

avg45

Post by avg45 » August 22nd, 2018, 3:23 pm

I contacted the BA, who stated " no one is allowed to reserve a space on a BA Mooring, and to disregard any sign to the contrary, and if the Rangers see it they will remove the sign". Whether this holds true remains to be seen as the rangers on the "Spirit of Breydon went pass twice. Brown envelope perhaps? ;) :o :evil: :twisted:

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » August 22nd, 2018, 9:30 pm

Well, that is very interesting and thank you for the update.
If you refer to the Berney Mill mooring? The very end is or was part of the Berney Arms and I think they had a couple of spaces there, if it was the actual Berney Mill end? then that is as you say a BA mooring.
When I first started going across Breydon Water, it used to depress me to be honest but when I spent some time at the Berney Arms whilst guarding the property, I came to appreciate the area very strongly.
Walking along the river and seeing it when it was as calm as a mill pond was really awesome.
The sounds of the birds was so different too
As for the Berney Arms railway station, that was straight out of a Harry Potter film.

avg45

Post by avg45 » August 23rd, 2018, 11:27 am

It was the Berney Mill end of the Moorings, between the two 24 hour BA signs, so most certainly a BA Mooring. :o :? :lol: :twisted:

JohnS

Post by JohnS » August 23rd, 2018, 7:04 pm

I can't believe the other pelican is still at Stalham. How can the BA ask anyone to move on, ever after letting him stay there for so long. I'd be interested to hear if the BA removed his reserved mooring signs. :shock:

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » August 23rd, 2018, 7:07 pm

Sutton Staithe, locals reckon they have hardly seen any rangers about all summer.