• Administrator
  •  
    Advertising Is FREE On This Forum!
    You Can Support This Forum By Clicking The Advertisements.

Breydon high slack vs low slack

General Norfolk Broads related posts.
JohnS

Breydon high slack vs low slack

Post by JohnS » August 18th, 2018, 8:54 pm

Hi all,
Just curious, has anybody here crossed Breydon near high tide? These maybe daft questions so please bare with me.
Is 'high slack tide' an hour after high tide? Is the tidal movement similar to the of low slack tide? At what point is the flood tide and ebb tide at its strongest? And is the increase a linier increase from low or high tide? What I'm getting at is, is the current stronger just before low, or just after High, or is it stronger somewhere between?
I want to go to the southern rivers for the bank holiday weekend, but the tide times are not great for crossing at low tide.

JohnnyC

Re: Breydon high slack vs low slack

Post by JohnnyC » August 18th, 2018, 9:10 pm

I’ve often wondered about this myself and would therefore be interested in the answer, if there is one.

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » August 19th, 2018, 3:56 am

I personally always go to Great Yarmouth to moor when the tide is nearly on high tide.
Firstly, the current coming in on a rising tide is no where near as aggressive as when it drops.
Mooring up is a doddle and can be compared to anywhere else on the rivers.
Mooring up at Great Yarmouth when the tide is dropping to me is impossible as I always do it by myself.
As far as crossing Breydon Water goes, I never do it as suggested by everyone, an hour after low tide.
Firstly, catching that small window of slack tide is just too inconvenient as you have such a long stretch to Yarmouth with no where to park off.
Secondly, the tide seems to pour out of the Bure for hours after low tide.
What I tend to do and I know it won't suit everyone is to moor up at Great Yarmouth at high tide, which as described is so much easier.
Chill out and do some shopping and wait for the next high tide.
Once I can see the tide coming back up the Bure just after the slack which is long after the slack elsewhere through the bridges, I disembark.
Sounds a lot of messing around I know but if I do that, then I get the current all the way in my favour.

Coming back I do it differently too. I stop at Berney Arms or the castle and wait for a couple of hours after low tide and then go. I have no problems going across Breydon Water at that time as the incoming tide is no stress.
By the time I get to the Bure, the water has finally stopped flowing out of the river and I get to come back up the north rivers without fighting against the full force of the water.
The point I am trying to make is the the slack water times is very different in my opinion between Yarmouth yacht station and Breydon Water simply due to the amount of flowing tide out from the River Bure.
Another thought is if I was to loose engine power on Breydon Water, I would much rather have the water carrying me towards the direction of the Berney Arms, as opposed to Yarmouth, as I would not fancy steering through the bridges with no power.
⛵ Life is short, even on its longest day ⛵

avg45

Post by avg45 » August 19th, 2018, 6:39 pm

HI Miles. Re You mooring at Burgh Castle to wait for the tides.. The moorings have been have been scrapped!!!! so nowhere to moor to wait. Another resounding success in the annals of negotiation by the BA to lose yet another Mooring. We were down there just over a week ago and were very disappointed at not being able to moor there!!!! :evil:

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » August 20th, 2018, 2:11 am

That is so annoying. I mentioned that issue just over a year ago Closed Burgh Casrle and have not been passed since.
What is actually wrong with this Broads Authority?
They have lost mooring after mooring.
That particular mooring was one of my favourites.
Not only essential for crossing the Breydon Water but offered a serenity and peace not found on many locations.
Last year I understand the metal heading was corroded. Oh well, not to worry, people can always empty their wallets at Great Yarmouth instead. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Perhaps it's time to have pontoon moorings on the Norfolk Broads? That way the B. A. can't fall out with any other landowner....national park by arse.
⛵ Life is short, even on its longest day ⛵