• Administrator
  •  
    Advertising Is FREE On This Forum!
    You Can Support This Forum By Clicking The Advertisements.

Broads System Failure

General Norfolk Broads related posts.
BroonBroomBroom

Re: Broads System Failure

Post by BroonBroomBroom » July 2nd, 2018, 8:25 am

We moored at Stalham Staithe over the weekend.
The Broom is still there and so too is the wooden boat, which incidentally is not tolled and is listing quite heavily to the starboard side, indicating a very full holding tank.
There was a lot of shouting coming from the wooden boat and a very strong smell of drugs.
As I was with my wife and three kids we decided to go and moor in Richardsons.
I spoke to a local moored privately when at Richardsons and they said the wooden boat had been there for about a year and never moved at all.
I think it's long overdue for the Police to pay them a visit and politely remind them that their boat should be tolled and that also the staithe is a public mooring, and they have no business at all mooring there permanently, and making it impossible to use the mooring. The same applies to the Broom, there is no justification for hogging the moorings and it's high time the boats moved on.

JohnS

Post by JohnS » July 2nd, 2018, 5:39 pm

I agree totally, the BA doesn’t have the teeth to deal with these people, yet they are happy to go after the law abiding for overstaying by a day 🙄
I’m sure the rangers don’t want them there anymore than we want to see them there. Not sure if it’s a lack of will to tackle it, or that the rangers have no real power to do so. I suspect it’s a lack of power to be honest, every ranger I’ve met has been friendly and helpful, could just be red tape that prevents them from dealing with this?

David

Post by David » July 2nd, 2018, 6:47 pm

I agree over staying is not good asis not paying the river toll, the broom 30 that is at the museum end of the Staithe belongs to a very nice gent that lives just off the high street in Stalham who lives alone and was involved in a car accident a couple of weeks ago, and nobody has seen him since then also his dog was also on its last legs, he might not be in a fit state to move his boat also the BA have no inforcement capabilities to move people off the Staithe at Stalham as it is not BA controlled
A boat makes a big hole in the water in to which you throw money

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » July 2nd, 2018, 6:57 pm

I often think that enforcement doesn't always work and what people can do with sometimes is maybe a bit of encouragement.
⛵ Life is short, even on its longest day ⛵

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » July 17th, 2018, 6:18 am

The only person who has benefited from a new twenty four hour mooring sign at Stalham Staithe is the signwriter who created it. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Times like this require a good old fashioned Bobby.

BEN

Post by BEN » July 17th, 2018, 8:17 am

Non payment of tolls is a civil offence, as is mooring longer than 24 hours. So the police will not get involved, Unless BA take enforcement action over the tolls or the council over overstaying the moorings. Then only if the persons responsible threaten violence or refuse the baliffs, will the police take any action.
Since they were moored there before the 24 hour limit sign was put up, they are probably within their rights to ignore it. That is until they move, once they move, it comes into force..

There was a man / protestor camped on the green outside the houses of parliment, they couldn't get rid of him because he was there before the rules came in...

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » July 17th, 2018, 8:24 am

I used to pass him daily if you mean the dude protesting about Iraq war. I think he was there for years.

Hylander

Post by Hylander » July 17th, 2018, 8:30 am

Since they were moored there before the 24 hour limit sign was put up, they are probably within their rights to ignore it. That is until they move, once they move, it comes into force..

Only in this country could we have such a cock eyed rule as that. Abroad , in fact anywhere else in the whole world and they would be shifted one way or another.

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » July 17th, 2018, 10:53 am

Yes, I wondered about that too.

BEN

Post by BEN » July 18th, 2018, 6:50 am

Dances With Otters wrote:
July 17th, 2018, 8:24 am
I used to pass him daily if you mean the dude protesting about Iraq war. I think he was there for years.
That's him...