• Administrator
  •  
    Advertising Is FREE On This Forum!
    You Can Support This Forum By Clicking The Advertisements.

Barnes Brinkcraft Boat Running Engine 22:30 hrs

General Norfolk Broads related posts.
Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Barnes Brinkcraft Boat Running Engine 22:30 hrs

Post by Dances With Otters » May 31st, 2018, 9:25 am

Brinks Symphony 2 W675-12.

This vessel was running it's engine at 10.30 last night and did so for approximately half an hour.

My question to Barnes Brinkcraft is, do you tell your customers not to run the engine at moorings after 8 at night and not before 8 in the morning?

And my question on this matter is, why on Earth would someone need to run the engine at half past ten at night?

Clearly, this is anti social behaviour.

Does it happen because the customer is oblivious to general mooring etiquette or does it happen because they could not give a toss.

Either way, I don't pay my annual Broad's toll to listen to some arrogant idiots running their engine so late at night.

Why are there no avenues to be able to complain about such issues other than to demonstrate the issues online?

Why not add a large sticker notice above the ignition keys stating, Run This Engine At Antisocial Hours And You Keep Everyone Awake And Stink Their Cabins Out With Toxic Fumes!

Finally, I would like to add that these issues are always the same hire boat companies. They are never the smaller hire boat companies who clearly take the time to give their customers proper tuition and more than likely don't hand the keys to everyone with a wallet.
Attachments
2018-05-31_09-18-19.jpg
⛵ Life is short, even on its longest day ⛵

Hylander

Re: Barnes Brinkcraft Boat Running Engine 22:30 hrs

Post by Hylander » June 1st, 2018, 7:59 am

Well to be honest Miles in the past and nowadays we have never been informed by any boat yard to 'not run the engine between 8 and 8'. I do believe this is a 'rule' concocted by the river users themselves. How do we know what the situation was on board. May be they had inadvertently left something on that had drained the batteries and the fridge would not work if they did so. In this weather you have to keep your fridge going especially if you have young or elderly on board whose constitutions are not as strong as others.

It was only 1/2 hr and not 4 and 5 hours which I have ready about previously. At least the boat is not immediately next to you.

We awoke once at Rockland 24 hr mooring (the new one) to hear a hire boat revving its engine, could not make this out as past midnight. Eventually we got up to see what the deuce was happening, to find some arse had let go one of their ropes and he was trying against the tide to get the darn thing back in at the mooring. So things happen.

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » June 1st, 2018, 10:07 am

It happens all the time with multiple boats doing the same. It clearly says in the mooring noticeboard to not run the engine.

Bargate

Post by Bargate » June 3rd, 2018, 5:23 pm

Often its not the hirers fault, the yards tell customers to run the engine. For example I have seen recently on a hireboat: little 12v tv/dvd unit that runs on 12v, but the yard supply it with the mains cable so you had to turn the boats inverter on to use it. above the switch for the inverter a notice reads "always run the engine when using the inverter"! :cry: :evil:

I bet the boat you encountered though was wanting some hot water

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » June 3rd, 2018, 5:37 pm

They were on a electric point so don't understand it to be honest.

Bargate

Post by Bargate » June 3rd, 2018, 6:06 pm

Someone wanted a shower

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » June 4th, 2018, 8:28 am

Yes, exactly.
No one is charging any battery up for a fridge in that time.
A simple sticker in the boat would stop this nonsense immediately.
:roll:

Hylander

Post by Hylander » June 5th, 2018, 8:04 am

Does that boat have 240v system? If it does then no excuse as you are as good as being at home as far as power is concerned. Hot water - boil a kettle. Have done that many many times in the past.

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » June 5th, 2018, 8:35 am

Since I have been on the boatyard I fill a 13 litre bucket of hot water and pour it over my head....lovely.
I would hazard a guess and say that the calorifiers most likely have 240 volts but they most likely don't know that.