Merry Christmas Folks!

The Lion, Thurne.

General Norfolk Broads related posts.
avg45

The Lion, Thurne.

Post by avg45 » April 11th, 2018, 12:14 pm

I have just found out that the Mooring charge in Thurne Dyke has gone up to £5.00 NON refundable even if you eat in the Lion. Also the Lion pub has taken over the Moorings on the farm side of the Dyke, KER CHING!! Lets hope the quay headings are fully repaired and maintained :(

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Re: The Lion, Thurne.

Post by Dances With Otters » April 11th, 2018, 2:55 pm

I totally get the choice to charge but surely if you visit the pub it could be wavered. Hardly very welcoming.
I have never actually been down that dyke, always looked a bit too narrow.
⛵ Life is short, even on its longest day ⛵

BEN

Post by BEN » April 12th, 2018, 9:00 am

The Lion has replied to this on another forum, and has stated unless they made it unrefundable, it made it uneconomic to run the dyke. The charge is for overnight mooring (IIRC after 4pm).

Down at the Lion end of the dyke there is a small side dyke, in the past used for permanent moorings. I've often seen longer boats go down there stick their nose into the entrance to turn round. But it is still a tight turn, most just reverse out of the dyke, not for the faint hearted in a strong cross wind...

BEN

Post by BEN » April 12th, 2018, 9:01 am

oops double post.

avg45

Post by avg45 » April 13th, 2018, 10:15 am

It would be quite amusing if the dyke was full of boats who want to moor up, but do not want to eat in the Lion. The Lion would be almost empty!!! :lol: I will wait and see if it changes during the season. I don't mind paying for a mooring providing my food bill is reduced a bit. They could be shooting themselves in the foot over this as they only have the boaters as customers, apart from a few locals, and in this day and age I would have thought the Lion would have wanted to attract customers not penalise them!!! :evil:

JohnS

Post by JohnS » April 14th, 2018, 8:18 pm

thurne dyke is a perfect place to get your boat Clouted! I've always been amazed at the ability of some boaters to carry out the tricky bit, turning at the end and then cock up the easy bit, motoring in a straight line between the boats! I saw one boat last year zig zagging its way out hitting every other boat it passed! :x
I'm assuming they have repaired and tidied the quay heading, posts and mowed the grass etc if they're charging? I see no problem charging if it's to actually pay for the upkeep.
If they say charging is to make it cost effective, why did they take over the other side of the dyke? Seeems odd if they're making nothing from it?

BEN

Post by BEN » April 15th, 2018, 7:53 am

They've got rid of several permanent moorings to encourage visitors, who will come and use the pub.

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » April 15th, 2018, 9:19 am

I think more pontoons are needed. Better for tidal ranges and can be removed easy.
Not necessarily at the Thurne.
I never really saw the attraction to be honest.
⛵ Life is short, even on its longest day ⛵

rickLion

Post by rickLion » May 13th, 2018, 1:43 pm

hi all,

just joined the forum to clarify the comments above like i have on other forums.

we have rented the farmers side of the dyke for a sum of around 16k for the season. if we didn't do this he would have placed private boats down there all year and then there would be limited moorings available ie. only our side. we have also spent around 13k on repairs on our side of the dyke in the past year.

the only way we can try to justify this cost is to charge on both sides the £5 for overnight. The previous charge on both sides was £4 so not a huge increase really. so far to date we have paid nearly £5k in rent and redeemed around £1.2k in mooring fees.

I don't really have a choice but to say no redemption unless we look to offset a redemption by increasing prices. Margins are tight as anything already in the industry and we consulted various other forums on the matter before deciding on that charge.

hope this clarifies our situation.

rick