• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome To Norfolk Broads Forum.

Speeding from the outset.

An unofficial portal to direct your questions to the Broads Authority about the management of the Norfolk Broads.
Miles
Site Admin

Re: Speeding from the outset.

Post by Miles » October 29th, 2019, 7:27 pm

Well, it has been some time now since this post was run and as many will know there were two-speed indicators installed in the Richardsons exit channel.
I admire the willingness demonstrated to curb the issues with speeding hire boats, however, I would have to suggest that the speed reference displays are in fact in the incorrect location. They should be around the corner on the stretch between Broadgate and where folks turn left to Sutton. This bit is out of sight so it gets abused instantly.
I had the misfortune of nearly getting rammed just the other morning. I had left Stalham in a small Broom speedboat and had just passed Richardsons. There was a long line of Richardsons craft coming back to the boatyard, in fact, I would estimate as many as 10. To my total disbelief, there was one of their hirers overtaking everybody and heading straight for me. I suspect the other hirers were so p@@@@d off with the bloke that they just blatantly refused to let him in the queue...can't blame them. The only problem was he was heading straight at me.
I brought my boat to a near standstill as he was on the wrong side and I had to take evasive action. I stared through his window which was tinted and said to him that this was no way to drive a boat mate!
I then received a wave of approval from the boats following him...on the correct side of the river.
Now how can someone be in such a rush as to overtake so many boats literally just hundreds of yards away from the boatyard? Furthermore, nearly running someone off the river too?
That particular stretch is a bad bit of river, not by design or layout but by what goes on there. It is a black hole in supervision and for Richardsons to complete their tutorial there I personally think it is a pain in the arse for other boaters.
I personally believe that if a local company is going to dominate a busy thoroughfare of the River Ant and deliberately clog it up for other boaters making it a no go zone at certain times of the day including morning and late afternoon...then they should at the very least supervise the area and keep it free to navigate by other boaters.
If I or anybody else was to act in the same way as Richardsons do then there would be an outcry..the forums and Facebook pages would be full of other boaters complaining and outraged by it...yet it goes without change, year after year.
⛵ Life is short, even on its longest day ⛵

lgwarren

Post by lgwarren » November 1st, 2019, 9:52 am

Yes Miles, it continues relentlessly.
The speed indicators that you mention are indeed in the wrong place, and are not calibrated properly either. Those that are travelling at 4.9 mph are greeted with a "happy green sign" !!!!! The returners actually slow down to decide which way to navigate and by the time they are detected by the sign, most of them are travelling at between 4.0 and 4.9mph. In other words still speeding after slowing down. For those of us that are moored on that stretch of river would like to see it placed near the Broadgate entrance so that they are warned prior to passing moored boats.
I think that you are aware of where I am moored, and if you have a look at my bow roller you will see the result of contact with a Richardsons boat. At the time of the incident there was a "teacher" on board. Fortunately, there was witnesses and Richardsons have accepted responsibility.
I have had 3 meetings with Broads Authority patrolman named Toby, and although I got his sympathy, and a promise to speak to Richardsons, and more vigilance, nothing has changed.
If I could get enough people together I would love to do "Climate Change" style protest. In other words, block Richardsons entrance at a busy time. This would cause chaos and get noticed, but at times I feel that I am the only one that is really bothered.
My enjoyment of being moored on the river has now been eroded, and I have asked to be moved. For me it is a crying shame.
It's good to be in contact again, as I lost where you were when the site was being updated. I will get myself familiar with it again.

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » November 1st, 2019, 10:22 am

So let me get this right?
Despite your posts over being concerned with this area, a boat under supervision of an instructor still managed to collide with your vessel and damage it? :roll:
I empathise with your frustration as there is an overwhelming apathy towards this subject and many see those raising the issue as troublemakers, especially the boat hirers.
I think protests are likely to be ineffective in such a low population area.
Personally, I believe the EDP is the best bet as they are not shy to report on such matters.
I would happily participate in a media interview as I have done previously.
I would have no hesitation whatsoever in reporting the disgraceful effects that the oversized hire boat vessels and the industry has on private boaters, their vessels and their own self well being.
I would also openly discuss the Collision Damage Waiver phenomena and how it contributes to an enormous problem on the Norfolk Broads.
I would do this not to cause trouble or deliberately upset people but to make those concerned realise that they are a major problem and if the dogs bite? Bite them back!
⛵ Life is short, even on its longest day ⛵