• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome To Norfolk Broads Forum.

Speeding from the outset.

An unofficial portal to direct your questions to the Broads Authority about the management of the Norfolk Broads.
lgwarren

Speeding from the outset.

Post by lgwarren » April 6th, 2019, 4:02 pm

It is only the beginning of the season and already it has started as it finished. I am moored near to where Richardson's hire craft start there journey and I estimate that 4 out of 5 of boats are speeding when passing me, with half of those 50% over the limit. Last season I made Richardson's aware, and also approached The Broads Authority. I had little joy from either. I will do the same again this year. However, I do not hold out much hope. I would love some suggestions on how to handle this. Where do I go. Who is interested in enforcing 4mph. Do the boaters that are here all year round, not count. These boaters are generally inexperienced and are speeding the minute they enter the rivers. I would like to acquire a speed gun so that I could build a case to try and get some action on the problem.

avg45

Re: Speeding from the outset.

Post by avg45 » April 6th, 2019, 5:54 pm

Hi Igwarren. I think the only thing to do is to take a pic of these boats and the wash they create, together with the reg No and forward it to the BA. They are always telling us to do this and they will take steps against these people. One can only try. Good luck. :D :D :D :D

AVG45

BytheBroads

Post by BytheBroads » April 6th, 2019, 10:35 pm

More prosecutions for non payment of tolls than speeding https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/__d ... 110419.pdf

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » April 7th, 2019, 5:53 pm

I watched a ranger telling people to slow down the other day in day boats nearby and personally I don't believe they were a problem neither were they speeding so I can't help by wonder why they don't tell the bigger ones that are speeding to stop it. :roll:
The rangers have a tough job and nobody will deny that but I see apathy to real issues.
The problem you have described is indeed credible and one that bothers people so much that they have had to change moorings.
The solution is to film these scenarios and post them on YouTube, they will be seen.
Secondly, the staff at Richardson's should be standing at the exit reminding people to slow down.
Thirdly the head of the Broads Authority should be there in person to see this and a ranger's boat should be sitting at the crossroads between Sutton and Stalham with speed guns throwing speeding tickets at the boats.
Then as if by magic the apathy would stop about resolving these issues and over night the stampedes would halt.
You see, in my opinion, raising issues is one thing but certain powers that be would rather turn a blind eye as its like the differential on a car's wheels......they take the easiest route.
The Norfolk Broads is not waterways for boats to go mental in and neither is it owned by the hire boat industry.
These rivers were used long before any hire boats turned up and nowhere in its history did it ever naturally become a dodgem park, that is an advantage taken.
⛵ Life is short, even on its longest day ⛵

lgwarren

Post by lgwarren » April 7th, 2019, 7:15 pm

Co-incidentally, about 15 minutes after writing my original post, a Ranger came passing by. I took the opportunity to engage him in conversation about my concerns. He returned about 45 mins later to tell me that they intend to talk to Richardsons and have a look at the situation over the next few days (Lets hope that would be a Fri/Sat !!!). However, a positive move.
Thank you ByTheBroads for the BA report. On scanning it fairly quickly it seems that out of 4520 verbal and 65 written warnings for speeding on our northern waters, there were only 2 prosecutions. " 2 PROSECUTIONS IN OVER 4585 OFFENSES ". I assume that the warning figures do not include the times that boaters were "waved at to slow down". I think that this shows the scale of the problem. How many speeding boats are not observed by the Rangers, but seen and felt by the Broads community? I will be writing to the BA. If this was happening in cars on our streets there would be uproar. This is not a matter of insufficient man power, it is the man power that is there, not exercising their powers in the interest of safety.

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » April 8th, 2019, 12:54 am

It has been suggested that over a hundred hire boats can leave that area in any one day.
I have never seen any Broads Authority boats or staff monitoring the situation at any single time.
They ignore the situation and pretend it doesn't exist.
I would recommended raising the issue with the EDP as they have no problems reporting about the Broads and are very open about it.
I have never seen the Broads Beat there at stampede time either.
Last year it took 10 minutes to get passed that area just to get to Stalham Staithe.
Another issue and a dangerous one is that hire boats come racing out of Richardson's and don't give way, I have had some close calls.
Looking at the list of sponsors for the Broads Beat clearly shows Richardson's company name which would indicate a safety interest from the company, however, it stops the moment their customers are shown the ropes.

David

Post by David » April 8th, 2019, 5:11 am

That’s one of the reasons we moved mornings last year across to Broads Edge, if there is 100 boats leaving Richardsons that equates to 400 movements past our old moorings 100 boats in a good percentage speeding to get in before 9.30 then 100 out on trial run then 100 back off trial run then 100 back out and usually gunning it to get as far as possible away from the yard it made for an uncomfortable morning at change over days
A boat makes a big hole in the water in to which you throw money

lgwarren

Post by lgwarren » April 8th, 2019, 10:45 am

I know why you moved David, as I am on the river moorings at Broadsedge. I am the target that they line up to when they "do not give way" on entering the main river. It is quite scary when they are gunning towards me, and then they need to brake because there is a queue !!! That's the time they realise that a boat is like a lorry on an ice rink, and they have only just been given the keys. I am wondering if there is a "right of way" for boats trying to reverse moor? My patience has worn thin with this entire problem and now intend to become a pain in the a*** until I get some understanding from the BA and Richardsons.

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » April 8th, 2019, 11:06 am

Apathy is a big problem here on the Norfolk Broads and having been on the water for five years solid I tend to experience the negatives head on and continuously.
So too would the Broads Authority if they were on the rivers 24/7 but they are not. They will nip to a mooring by van, write down some numbers, take some photos and empty the donations boxes.
The rangers on the water will periodically cruise nonchalantly along a particular route which is all fine and good but it fails to regulate the snaking stampede of hire boats coming out.
This is not a criticism of the Broads Authority rangers, I have found them to be very good and there work is indeed laudable. The only time I have ever experienced a wrong ranger was a chap called Andy Callum on the South Broads but that is history now.
Neither is it a criticism of the hire boaters, they are here just like everyone else to enjoy themselves.
The problem is the hire boat companies and not enough is done to oil the gears of this industry. It is left to turn over like a neglected engine, coughing, misfiring, burning people and creating a thick dark toxic cloud of misery and stress on the waterways.
The day boats I have no issues with at all as their size and navigation perspective seems to keep people alert.
I admire your willingness to break the mould of silence and apathy and aim to do something about it.
If you are unable to get any positive reaction from the 'powers that be?' then I will gladly meet up with you and film the chaos, post it online and let the EDP run the story.
This is a matter which could be handled so easily without putting anyone out but it is ignored and I personally find it intolerable.
I would like to see the head of the BA visit free moorings and meet and greet private boaters and hirers and listen to what they have to say
In addition, he can watch all the hire boats coming into Sutton smashing all the boats to pieces.

Hylander

Post by Hylander » April 8th, 2019, 12:01 pm

Having moored on Golf Moorings at Richardsons for 3 years , I can honestly say it was only the odd numpty that caused any problems to us personally. Mostly in the mornings there was such a queue formed that any speed was impossible to get up , even if you had wanted to.