• Administrator

Tales Of A Liveaboard

A Norfolk Broads Forum extension for the Sailing High Seas YouTube channel for contact, photos & updates, etc.
Miles
Site Admin

Re: Tales Of A Liveaboard

Post by Miles »

The Prime Directive - Wild Animals & Boaters.
02052016 (6).jpg
There is no doubt that animals follow the flotilla of boats for one reason and one reason only...food.
Personally, it is unavoidable and I don't like to see folks feeding them especially bread but it does happen a lot.
Many folks insist that people must feed the birds bread because they will starve which in my layman's view I think is total b*lls**t.
Birds don't eat bread and if they start to die off because people stop doing so, then clearly humans have tampered with a natural balance and interfered with a prime directive.

In fact, imagine being moored up stern on and people start to feed the birds right next to your boat. The next thing you know there are literally hundreds of birds flying above your boat ready to crap on you and your boat...meanwhile, people remain oblivious. I actually had a bird drop its cargo straight into my coffee once and only noticed because it made a big splash.

There is a heron which almost takes the food off your plate at Wroxham, well the Hoveton side to be geographically correct.
This heron landed on my mast once whilst it was lowered for Wroxham Bridge. Coming out of my hatch to see this steak knife of a beak up at my face, I realised just how successful a hunter they really are. I once saw one of these with a rat in its mouth whilst flying.

There is also an otter which you can see on a regular basis. Dawn and dusk it will swim down the mooring headings and often be seen running across the land. I nearly filmed it once capturing a mature greylag but was so surprised at its kill that I forgot to press record in the excitement. That has happened too many times to remember. Best camera for these one-offs is one on your head or even a pair of sunglasses with a camera.

As for the mute swans, there is usually around 60 at least in this part alone and they suffer from fishing line. On at least a couple of occasions, I had to rescue swans from imminent death.

Short Term Discomfort, Long Term Gain...
Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles »

Barton Turf.
barton turf (1).jpg
Barton Turf lies adjacent to Barton Broad.
It is a lovely spot to moor. Although it is popular, it does not get a lot of rowdy characters, generally.
The underlying reason is quite simply because there is no pub and there are no shops.
barton turf (2).jpg
There is a smaller mooring which is a part parish and part Broads Authority. There is a water tap here but access can be competitive. Even though it is a mooring in its own right, there is always someone who thinks it is a pit stop for water only.

There is also a much longer mooring known as Paddys Lane which is capable of handling quite a few boats.
barton turf (3).jpg
I have had issues with dogs mess at this location and running engines can be a serious pain in the mornings and evenings.
barton turf (4).jpg
It is also set back quite far and involves a walk to get nearer to the bins etc.
barton turf (7).jpg

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles »

Barton Turf is actually moorings for a tot of boats including sailboats and itis from here that the regatta operates from.
In the summer you can walk up to the cricket field and have traditional tea and scones, however, now in the days of Covid 19, nothing is guaranteed anymore.
Attachments
barton turf (5).jpg
barton turf (6).jpg
barton turf (10).jpg
barton turf (11).jpg
barton turf (12).jpg
barton turf (13).jpg

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles »

Dont be foofled by the this sign as there is no longer any shop and by village it means....Norfolk Village which usually means just houses.
Attachments
barton turf (15).jpg

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles »

There is also a substantial boatyard.
Attachments
barton turf (20).jpg
barton turf (21).jpg
barton turf (22).jpg
barton turf (23).jpg
barton turf (24).jpg
barton turf (25).jpg

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles »

The water and bins can be found at the staithe mooring.
Attachments
barton turf (16).jpg
barton turf (17).jpg
barton turf (18).jpg
barton turf (19).jpg
barton turf (26).jpg

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles »

One thing about boats whether they are new or old is...
they always need fixing.
Fortunately, I met an excellent engineer and he has helped repair so many items that require workshop tools.
In this case, he was about to repair the handle of my windlass.
I know him as Sunderland Paul and twice a year he hires boats on the Norfolk Broads.
Attachments
windlass (5).jpg

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles »

Broads Authority Mooorings.
sutton staithe.jpg
Public moorings as such are obviously useful but they are unsafe. There are no mincing words on this subject, they are accident and damage hot spots.
The worst I would suggest is Ludham. Ludham Bridge to be exact and not to be confused with Womack Water which is an epic stopover.
If you want to avoid your boat getting damaged and getting abuse, then avoid Broads Authority 24 hour moorings.
The level of collisions is so high that the Broads Authority can not keep up.
Sutton Staithe is a bad one, so too is Stalham Staithe. Horning by the Swan pub is pretty much running the gauntlet. Hoveton St.Jon through Wroxham Bridge is dicey and Reedham with its tidal range and current is bordering suicidal boating at times.
On the northern rivers, wild mooring or using a mud weight is a much more viable option, however, the current on the southern broads is not so forgiving.
To avoid the need to guard your boat like a Roman garrison under attack, then wild mooring is the answer.

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles »

Wild Moorings.

One of my favourite spots to moor or should I say wild moor is on Sutton Broad.
It has one of the best sunsets I know off and the location is visually vast and scenic.
Attachments
Sutton Broad Wild Mooring (1).jpg
Sutton Broad Wild Mooring (2).jpg
Sutton Broad Wild Mooring (3).jpg
Sutton Broad Wild Mooring (4).jpg
Sutton Broad Wild Mooring (5).jpg
Sutton Broad Wild Mooring (6).jpg
Sutton Broad Wild Mooring (7).jpg