• Administrator

Tales Of A Liveaboard

A Norfolk Broads Forum extension for the Sailing High Seas YouTube channel for contact, photos & updates, etc.
Miles
Site Admin

Re: Tales Of A Liveaboard

Post by Miles »

St. Benets Abbey.
St. Benets Abbey.jpg

My initial thoughts of this unorthodox ruins were one of disdain and ridicule. However, over time this was to become a site of great fascination and intrigue.
The reality of the situation is that deep inside the mill is in fact much more in terms of archaeological ruins. The building of the mill in this fashion ultimately preserved the most significant remaining section.
It is often stated that this once thriving abbey escaped the dissolution of Henry VIII, however, within a few years the abbey was so broke that the occupants were selling off the masonry to raise funds. The mill came later than the 16th century so how it even found enough remaining masonry to build upon is a mystery to me.

Short Term Discomfort, Long Term Gain...
Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles »

I Love Boating.
I Love Boating.jpg

I have lived a colourful life and certainly one that has not been deprived of adventure and challenge.
However, being on a sailboat alone with my dog in the middle of winter, whilst exploring these rivers for the first time was one of the most profound and spiritual experiences in my adult life. It was truly awesome and I was loving every minute.

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles »

Great Yarmouth’s Strong Currents.
Great Yarmouth’s Strong Currents.jpg

Arriving in Great Yarmouth was a real surprise for the senses. I know for sure that most experienced sailors would have raised an eyebrow on meeting the formidable current at ebb tide. It is nothing short of dangerous.
The idea is that you arrive in Great Yarmouth an hour after low tide which should see you meeting the slack tidewaters. This very rarely comes right as the water floods out of the River Bure for ages after low tide.
I arrived at slack water but at 10:30 at night. Although I had done my research and I knew the area had many bridges, some which were in fact very low.
I had the mast up and had planned to lower it the following morning.
On arriving at Great Yarmouth I could see well enough to detect the low bridges ahead but I was totally mortified to discover the demasting area was directly in front of an extremely low bridge. In addition, the River Bure was still emptying like rapids.
I lowered my engine speed and carried on drifting with the currents. So fast in fact that it was impossible for me to turn the boat around as there was just a narrow channel to navigate.
I was now rapidly approaching the low bridges with my mast up. I would most certainly be dragged under the bridge and the boat capsized as the huge forces pulled my craft to sure destruction.
My only option was to put the boat in reverse quickly. This immediately sent my boat into an aggressive spin. After several attempts to pull my vessel out of this spin, I was finally able to get my boat facing towards the aggressive current and head back up the river.
I was forced to maintain this direction for at least 45 minutes until the flood tide initiated and then I returned to Great Yarmouth and was finally able to moor.
I knew I had just had a close call and poured myself a strong drink.

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles »

A Steep Learning Curve.
A Steep Learning Curve.jpg

The following day, I lowered the mast and made my way across Breydon Water. I was really shocked by just how dangerous Great Yarmouth is for any boats, not just those that can’t normally fit under the bridges.
I was delighted to find the Romans ruins of Burgh Castle and moored up to explore the area.

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles »

The Ancients.

It is a most unusual sensation to stand in a two-thousand-year-old Roman garrison whilst looking out upon the bleak and vast wetlands of the southern Broads.
Attachments
The Ancients11.jpg
The Ancients10.jpg
The Ancients9.jpg
The Ancients8.jpg
The Ancients7.jpg
The Ancients6.jpg
The Ancients5.jpg
The Ancients4.jpg
The Ancients3.jpg
The Ancients2.jpg
The Ancients.jpg

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles »

North & South Divide.
North & South Divide.jpg

Just like so many places in this world, there is a north and south divide. The Broads is not an exception. In the above photo, I moored at St.Olaves on the River Waveney. Even here the current was formidable.

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles »

Too Cold To Continue.
Too Cold To Continue.jpg

Even though my spirit of adventure was in full swing, I had to face some truth and that was it was just too cold to be moving around in a sailboat.
Looking back now, I am convinced that with a sprayhood/cockpit dodger and some good internal heating I could go anywhere in a sailboat.
Standing motionless for hours a day at the tiller whilst exposed to the wind and horizontal hail was just not working out.
I was heading towards Beccles to sit the winter out. About five miles away I came into moor at a quiet Broads Authority mooring. I just couldn’t concentrate on what I was doing. It took me three attempts to orchestrate the most simple of moorings…I was showing symptoms of hyperthermia.

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles »

Arrived At Beccles.
Arrived At Beccles.jpg

Finally, we arrived at Beccles and I knew we were going to be here for some time. In fact, it was to be three months. Christmas was days away so I decided to see the new year in and then do something creative with the winter hibernation that was imposed on me and High Seas.
Since arriving on the Norfolk Broads I had taken a lot of small video clips. I never had any intention of doing anything with them until one day I was sat at a computer in Beccles library.
I put all the video clips together in one long video, sat back and watched the whole video. It was interesting to reflect back on my adventures. It was at this moment that the idea of creating my Youtube channel, High Seas was born.

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles »

It’s Cold.
It’s Cold.jpg

It was freezing and it was something I had to take seriously.
I had plenty of sleeping bags and myself and my dog did not suffer at all.
One morning I woke up to see the condensation on the ceiling of the cabin had frozen. It twinkled at me like stars…very peculiar.
I was without any electric points for the next three months so I experimented with flower pot candle heaters. They did not offer any heat realistically, however, they were very effective at dealing with condensation. This is any boaters worst problem. Anyone who has slept a night in a car will know exactly what I refer to. You can awaken to a boat interior that looks like it has rained inside the boat. The candle heaters proved to highly dangerous and flash flared one nighttime. I would advise all to avoid them entirely.

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles »

Neighbours.

This was to be the most deserted time I ever saw the Norfolk Broads. The only neighbours I had were a Slovenian boater and his dog. We became friends and the only unbearable elements were him playing his violin when he was drunk.
Attachments
Neighbours4.jpg
Neighbours3.jpg
Neighbours2.jpg
Neighbours.jpg