• Administrator
  •  
    ⛵ Norfolk Broads Forum now features a blog, classifieds & forum ⛵
    Thanks To All Who Signed Petition

How Long Has Your Boat Engine Got Till It's Banned?

Norfolk Broads Forum - Upload your photos of the Norfolk Broads & share images of this majestic Broadland waterways.
Miles
Site Admin

How Long Has Your Boat Engine Got Till It's Banned?

Post by Miles » December 21st, 2019, 12:44 pm

Many will laugh at reading this but I believe your laughter will be short as the days of petrol and diesel engines on boats are coming to an end quicker than many realise.
The following countries are planning on banning diesel and petrol cars by the following dates.
  • Ireland - 2045
  • Netherlands - 2030
  • Scotland - 2032
  • UK - 2040
  • France - 2040
  • Germany - 2030
  • Norway - 2025
Can The Mills Hold The Answer To Renewable Energy?

Personally I think the mills that line the banks of the rivers on the Norfolk Broads are wholly underrated.

Their primary function, whether it be for draining the land, or as an actual commercial mill is no longer viable, and economically unsustainable.
However, even with the current renovation programs that exist to restore a good portion of these historic landmarks, I do feel they hold more potential than is currently realised.

In addition, they could be adapted for wind power energy as that they is what they were built for harnessing. Do away with the old cap, stock and sails and put on some modern versions. These could then be used to generate power to charge up batteries on boats. The batteries for the electric engines that will be here soon in greater quantities.

Improving The Mobile Networks?

Norfolk has terrible mobile network and it is a struggling county that is so desperate for greater facilities for the ever increasing smartphone data usage. Even though it has the highest concentration of churches in the world, I doubt very much that these will be agreeable locations for mobile phone network installations and hardware. However, the mills would be an excellent choice in my opinion.

The Power Of The River Currents?

Many who are familiar with the fury of the ebb tides at Great Yarmouth from the Rivers Bure, Yare and even the Waveney, will also be aware that this is an enormous sources of power that is not being harnessed.

Too Expensive?

To those who say it is too expensive, my reply would be, what? The cost of going green or the cost of owning a boat with a banned combustion engine in 10 years time?

I would make a guesstimate by suggesting that anyone with a combustion engine in their boat in 10 years time is likely to be feeling the pressure. Exactly what pressure no one can say, however, the days of these smoking old diesel boat engines is coming to an end, by all accounts a lot quicker than many of you might be aware of.

I have concerns of my own at the moment, as I currently have two yachts with diesels and one speedboat with petrol.
To change them over to electric will cost £10,000 plus.
That equates to about 2,500 pints of beer. :roll:
Anyway, here are some photos of local mills for inspiration.

:D :) ;) :( :o :shock: :? 8-)
Attachments
NORFOLKBROADSFORUM.CO.UK (1).png
NORFOLKBROADSFORUM.CO.UK (2).png
NORFOLKBROADSFORUM.CO.UK (3).png
NORFOLKBROADSFORUM.CO.UK (4).png
NORFOLKBROADSFORUM.CO.UK (5).png
NORFOLKBROADSFORUM.CO.UK (6).png
NORFOLKBROADSFORUM.CO.UK (7).png
NORFOLKBROADSFORUM.CO.UK (8).png
NORFOLKBROADSFORUM.CO.UK (9).png
NORFOLKBROADSFORUM.CO.UK (10).png