• Administrator
  •  

No Mention Of Planting Trees

Norfolk Broads Forum posts relating to environmental issues of the Norfolk Broads.
Miles
Site Admin

No Mention Of Planting Trees

Post by Miles »

aldertree.jpg
Interesting that concerns are being expressed about flooding on the Norfolk Broads yet carbon footprints seem to brushed under the carpet
Personally I don't swallow the climate change fear mongering and believe concerns should exist if their was no climate change.
However carbon footprint is quite different in my opinion as it's disgusting spewing out toxic shite into the environment.
I compare it to smoking in pubs years ago, I look back on that now and think wtf were we all thinking?
And that is coming from someone not unfamiliar with smoking.
So it got me thinking about the south Broads.
Generally speaking it is an area void of trees.
In fact, the River Waveney is one of the most toxic rivers in U.K. simply down to agricultural pesticides.
Wouldn't it make sense to colonise these barren riverside lands with the tried and tested Alder tree?
The alder thrives in damp, cool areas like wet woodlands, marshes and the banks of streams or rivers
These trees grow like weeds, swallow carbon dioxide up like a kid having a sugar rush at Mcdonalds and they would absorb hideous amounts of water from the flooded wetlands, not too mention drastically prevent erosion.
In addition, the wood is highly versatile and has many uses. Could be used for key headings, bank erosion control and perhaps even other forms of construction.
Most of the higher grade lumber is used for furniture, cabinetry, and turned products. Alder is also used in doors, millwork, decorative woodwork, carvings, and edge-glued panels. Alder dries to an even honey tone and can be finished to resemble more expensive fine-grained species

Surely that is more constructive than using current environmental topics as an excuse to perpetually raise tolls.
Attachments
alder.jpg

Never Complain, Never Explain...
CATFISH

Re: No Mention Of Planting Trees

Post by CATFISH »

As we are all aware, the broads are man made, and to this end need constant attention to remain as they are at present.

As an area develops, it also attracts diversification,tourism,sport,wildlife conservation , the latter seemingly always detrimental to one species to supposedly enhance the life of another, and often to the severe detriment of many other aspects by way of the "knock on " affect..
Nature doesn't give a toss about tourism, or boating, or indeed any other pastime we all indulge in on the broads, left to her own devices she will simply adapt as has been the case for millions of years, the end result will not resemble anything favourable to navigation like anything in existence today.
and definitely no resemblance to anything dr teflon can dream up.

"Here lies the body of Mary Lee; died at the age of a hundred and three. For fifteen years she kept her virginity; not a bad record for this vicinity."
Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles »

People always say the Broads are man-made and so too does Packman.
My understanding is the lakes were dug out by man.
The Rivers Ant, Bure, Thurne, Yare and Waveney etc are about as natural as it comes so why everyone insisting it's man-made? The Broads yes but not the rivers surely?

What came first? The Broads or the rivers?
I'd say the rivers.

CATFISH

Post by CATFISH »

Miles wrote: December 20th, 2021, 12:25 pm People always say the Broads are man-made and so too does Packman.
The Rivers Ant, Bure, Thurne, Yare and Waveney etc are about as natural as it comes so why everyone insisting it's man-made? The Broads yes but not the rivers surely?

I'd say the rivers.
I'd say the same, and nature would take them back [figuratively speaking] in a heartbeat.

and alder would be among the first to establish itself.

"Here lies the body of Mary Lee; died at the age of a hundred and three. For fifteen years she kept her virginity; not a bad record for this vicinity."
BEN

Post by BEN »

Miles wrote: December 20th, 2021, 12:25 pm People always say the Broads are man-made and so too does Packman.

I'd say the rivers.
The rivers came first , but not as they are...

The Ant first section from the Bure is canalised past Horning hall, the original course was the Hundred stream / dyke across to the Thurne.
further up at Barton Broad it passed down one side of the broad until the banks were cut and it flowed through the broad..

St Benets straight is a canal, The Bure originally passed the other side of the Holm on which St Benets Abbey sits.

If you look at the land to the west of the Bure from Thurne mouth southwards it's lower than the river, the straight from Thurne mouth southwards is almost certainly another canal..

Planting trees would destroy the broads, the broads were extensive peat marshes, which take in more CO2 than trees, putting trees on them would just make solid land.. Also it would kill all the views.. you'd just be cruising through a forest..

All the way to GY the river is held in by embankments, it would have spread out all over the place and been a lot shallower..

There are similar sections on the other rivers, plus of course there is the big canal the Haddiscoe Cut and the cut through from Lake Lothing to Oulton Broad.. River flows are very different from what they were..

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles »

I would suspect any canalised sections to be noticeable straight especially due to the flatness of the terrain.

That is very noticeable on Haddiscoe Cut.

I can also see very straight sections joining existing rivers to Broads especially on Bure especially Ranworth etc.

Do any maps exist of the original rivers?
Attachments
Haddiscoe Cut
Haddiscoe Cut

BEN

Post by BEN »

There are no maps of the time, that would be very accurate, as things like St Benets Abbey straight would have been dug on orders of the monks and all monasteries were gone by 1540.

I can't think of any single site with the information, I've picked up bits of information over the years by reading articles on Broads History / archaeology.

So most maps are modern interpretations like on this website..
https://www.norfarchtrust.org.uk/wp-con ... 0in%202002.

There you can see the old course of the Ant, and an intermediate stage where you have some of the route of the old river Bure Behind the abbey. Plus the new cut in front of part of it, but not the current Ant mouth or that bit of the straight..

Haddiscoe cut is much later built in 1833, just in time to be rendered obsolete by the railways. So there are references to that on several Texts and railway books, since the railways bought the failed canal.

Also of some use is Fadens 1797 Map which shows for instance 2 entrances to Ranworth, and many now missing Broads..
http://www.fadensmapofnorfolk.co.uk/

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles »

Thanks for information.

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles »

Guess what?
They are planting trees and hedges now on the River Waveney.

https://www.becclesandbungayjournal.co. ... ct-8620252

CATFISH

Post by CATFISH »

I wonder why the area is almost devoid of trees at present??
those that can be seen are laying over or dead,, I cant help thinking if that area was suitable for trees to be successful, natural processes would come into play,they would be there already, and probably Alder would be most common.

there seems to be a lot of publicity around trees at the moment, most of it revolving around money.