• Administrator
  •  
    ⛵ Norfolk Broads Forum now features a blog, classifieds & forum ⛵
    Thanks To All Who Signed Petition

Where has the wildlife gone?

Norfolk Broads Forum - All posts relating to environmental issues of the Norfolk Broads.
Ubique

Where has the wildlife gone?

Post by Ubique » May 30th, 2019, 8:55 pm

After a six year absence from the broads we took a weeks holiday on a Ricos boat. The first thing that was blatantly obvious was that there were no Coots to be seen. Salhouse was practically devoid of waterfowl wishing to be fed and the turn before Wroxham broad (where you could have walked across the Coots without getting your feet wet) was empty. Four Moorhens in total for the week. Greylag and Pinkfoot geese everywhere, these things are on the same scale as Rats, they kill and eat many many things. Where we live there is an active shooting and culling operation but they are still multiplying at an alarming rate. Does anyone else think they might be the problem?

Miles
Site Admin

Re: Where has the wildlife gone?

Post by Miles » May 31st, 2019, 6:21 am

Personally, if I was a bird, I'd be a rather large one, however, I wouldn't want to nest in the reeds with all these monstrous boats blasting around the Norfolk Broads.
My choice would be in the many hidden dykes that run along the navigation channels.

Miles
Site Admin

Re: Where has the wildlife gone?

Post by Miles » May 31st, 2019, 6:21 am

Personally, if I was a bird, I'd be a rather large one, however, I wouldn't want to nest in the reeds with all these monstrous boats blasting around the Norfolk Broads.
My choice would be in the many hidden dykes that run along the navigation channels.