• Administrator

Flood Barrier In Norfolk wtf?

Norfolk Broads Forum posts relating to environmental issues of the Norfolk Broads.
Miles
Site Admin

Flood Barrier In Norfolk wtf?

Post by Miles »

So the waters of the Norfolk Broads are rising?
Well we know they were so much higher just two thousand years ago so no need to attribute it to any label such as climate change or global warming...it is a process which should only concern is if the process was to halt
Or if you own a riverside property? Whereby it's true value is obviously likely to diminish.

However, I think the idea of a flood barrier in a county flatter than Zola Bud's chest is likely to be as effective as a torch in fog.......totally pointless.
https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/river-barr ... ed-7072652

Short Term Discomfort, Long Term Gain...
Graham

Re: Flood Barrier In Norfolk wtf?

Post by Graham »

Wtf indeed ! Almost a year and the argument of flood defense returns. https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/norfolk-br ... ng-1512656
I think your comment (it is a process which should only concern is if the process was to halt) Is the most sensible I have read.
Obviously riverside properties are a concern if you are fortunate enough to own one. But ultimately I completely agree that it would be a multi-million pound pointless exercise.
As a side note: I now have a graphic image in my head of Zola laying on her back on a 3D map of the broads. :roll:

avg45

Post by avg45 »

Perhaps its the narrowness of the Bure where it meets the Yare that causes the problem. I think that the Bure cannot drain properly at low tide so it stays high and takes a fairly long dry period to lower the water levels. In which case we would not need a barrier! :)

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles »

You would think that but the water would have carved a new path if that was the case on the River Bure.
Flooding is a problem now and it will get worse every year.
Personally I think the best place to start would be to restore the old navigation.
Especially from Coltishall to Alysham. If that river was reclaimed then a vast stretch of river would now be effective.
In addition, the North Walsham canal is described in Wikipedia as not being built on an existing river which is not true as the canal was built on the River Ant which is sourced at Antigham Pond. If that canal was dug out thoroughly again then that too would drain.
Those two rivers alone are 30/40 miles of waterways that are heavily impeded.
I suspect the low bridges don't help either. Ludham is a perfect example. That bridge should be knocked down and the whole section widened to the width of the river at least. Build a much wider and higher bridge.
The Norfolk Broads is changing year by year and in no time at all a lot of land will disappear under water.
As for the riverside properties, I'd sell up while they can.

Short Term Discomfort, Long Term Gain...