• Administrator

How To Repair Boat Stanchions.

Forum marine-related technical information. Not just Norfolk Broads boats but all vessels and help others to fix their boats.
Miles
Site Admin

How To Repair Boat Stanchions.

Post by Miles »

repairing boat stanchions (11).jpg
Leaking Boat Stanchions.

In this article, we're going to be repairing leaking boat stanchions.

These are the support railings that go around your boat.

Now just a quick note before we get started.

Boat stanchions and other deck fittings don't leak when the boats dry or the weather's dry for obvious reasons. As a result, you've got to do it in adverse conditions.

Now if your boat has leaking deck fittings? It can wreck your bulkheads, it can short out electrics, it can wreck your upholstery and it could probably even sink your boat.

So, if you've got leaking deck fittings? don't put it off. You got to treat it at the same level of priority as through whole fittings because water is getting in your boat and that sucks.

Short Term Discomfort, Long Term Gain...
Miles
Site Admin

Re: How To Repair Boat Stanchions.

Post by Miles »

let's get started.

Okay, so I'm going to be repairing this one first.
repairing boat stanchions (12).jpg
This one I started yesterday but the weather turned nasty and I had to quickly seal it up, so that's why it's got the large washers on. You can also see the sealant there to keep it dry whilst waiting for the rain to come and go.
repairing boat stanchions (13).jpg
The area i'm working in is obviously very wet.
It is winter 2021 and far from ideal conditions.

In order to get around this damp and wet, I am going have to use the hot air gun to dry the area outside.

I use a hairdryer inside the boat as it's obviously a lot safer.

This sailboat has a wooden superstructure and it has been sheathed in fibreglass.

I've replaced the interior wood of the gunwale very recently. The gunwale is the section you walk along when moving down the side of the boat.
repairing boat stanchions (15).jpg
It's basically got a little bit wet internally as you can see from this photo below so now it really needs to be sealed up properly before it gets ruined.
repairing boat stanchions (16).jpg

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles »

Now if it's a GRP boat or a wooden boat? I really don't see any difference.

Right well that one's off now.
repairing boat stanchions (17).jpg
You can see it's all damp underneath and see how it has all those chips there. All those chips are going to be areas which are likely to bring water in.
Also signs of hairline stressing the surface of the GRP. Luckily these were superficial and can be sealed with polyester resin.
repairing boat stanchions (20).jpg
Anyway, what I'm going to do now is got to clean this area up and I am going to take it back down to the GRP.

The reason is because of all those old layers of paint. I don't know if the water has got underneath, Chances are the old paint layers are probably floating. It's most likely has covert liquid ingress.

Now, as far as a wooden boat goes I think it would be exactly the same scenario.
You don't want to put anything new over old paint, do you? Unless it's brand new paint but if it's old paint> then it's probably lifted.

Now to seal up a wooden boat, what I would personally do is iI would take it back to the bare wood and then I would seal it with um epoxy resin.
That stuff is crazy expensive but it does what it says on the tin.

So put the epoxy resin on and then you come to put your stanchions on...job is don.
Even better still, if you can get the epoxy resin to go into the stanchion's bolt holes, then you can then re-drill them out afterwards,
That way you then know the holes are pretty well sealed inside too.
Remember that's where the water's going to come in and that's where you're going to get the damage.
repairing boat stanchions (36).jpg

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles »

Fabricate A Backing Plate For The Stanchions.
repairing boat stanchions (8).jpg
It is of utmost importance that a backing plate is manufactured for the stanchions.
Stanchions get abused.
Not only are they designed to prevent people from falling off the boat but they get pulled and pushed which will wreck your deck and let water in again.
Most annoying is that other folks helping moor a boat up always seem to reach for the stanchions as if they are a handle to pull a boat in to dock. :roll:
Can you imagine the strain?
repairing boat stanchions (25).jpg
Another flunk is hanging fenders of these or even the support cables. :roll:
To prevent damage and to increase their potential as safety supports, always fit a backing plate in the boat to take the forces subjected to the stanchions.
repairing boat stanchions (2).jpg

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles »

What If It Rains When Fixing These Leaks?

I've got a backup plan here and the idea is if it suddenly rains I can shove those bolts in with fat washers and seal it up so the boat doesn't get wrecked.
repairing boat stanchions (21).jpg
Whoever said boats were easy?
Of course, the heavens opened but we had a plan and saved a right mess inside the boat.
I share this with you because if you have a need to repair leaking deck fittings? then it is most likely that you will have to repair it on a day that is far from optimum conditions.
repairing boat stanchions (22).jpg

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles »

Preparing Stanchion Bases.
repairing boat stanchions (27).jpg
I have available at this time two different types of stanchion bases.
One is stainless steel which is far superior to the other which is made of plastic.
repairing boat stanchions (28).jpg
Looking online at prices to replace the plastic ones nearly caused me to fall off my boat in shock. The prices were insane and in no circumstances could I justify buying a whole new set of replacement stainless steel ones. :roll:
In my opinion, many marine products and services are hideously overpriced and there is no realistic fair exchange between a customer and manufacturer of marine fittings. I understand that many marine fittings are built for a treacherous and demanding environment, however, £60 plus or minus for s stanchion fitting is taking the p**s...enough said. :shock:

The first thing to do is to make sure the mating surface of the stanchion bases are clean and flat.
repairing boat stanchions (29).jpg
repairing boat stanchions (30).jpg

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles »

Next, I fit the stainless steel bolts through the deck.
I apply a thickened layer of polyester resin to level out the exterior surface and also to make an effective seal around the base of the thread.
repairing boat stanchions (38).jpg

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles »

Once the resin almost set (this allows some play in the threads to seat the stanchion base), I apply the adhesive/sealant to the base of the bolts.
repairing boat stanchions (40).jpg
To Be continued...