• Administrator

A Boater's Opinion Of Chinese Diesel Heaters

Forum marine-related technical information. Not just Norfolk Broads boats but all vessels and help others to fix their boats.
Miles
Site Admin

A Boater's Opinion Of Chinese Diesel Heaters

Post by Miles »

Chinese Diesel Heaters - What's The S.P?
Diesel Heater.png
I first heard of these diesel heaters around 2014.
To be honest, anything that has the words Chinese in front of it (except food) has me avoiding it like a Richardson's hire boat coming out of Stalham on change over day. ;)
However, that was an initial reaction and now many years later I have had the opportunity to truly analyse this product in at least one format.
I bought an 8KW version in November 2019 and finally got around to installing it a year later.
I paid roughly £120 and now they are at least £30 cheaper believe it or not.
The diesel heater unit itself is most certainly quite heavy and substantial and doesn't feel like crap.
The rest of the minor fittings like ducting, jubilee clips and especially the fuel tank are. In fact, the fuel tank leaked through the joins from injection moulding.
Putting those negatives aside, I can tell you now that this heater kicks ass. It will turn a 27-foot sailboat into an oven in less than 15 minutes if required.
Really could have done with one of these years ago.
It will go up to 35 degrees celsius but I leave mine at 20.
The first issue was an extremely irritating noise coming from the fuel pump which meant I had to have it off when in bed...excuse the pun.
This was fixed by suspending the fuel pump on a metal bracket and fitting rubber door stoppers to prevent the clicking noise going through the bulkhead...it worked a treat. I can't really hear it now, so one can sleep in comfort.
Even ay 20 degrees, I do go through some diesel and must be doing at least 10 litres a week. I'll have it on in the morning for half an hour so I can get my strides on without discomfort and I have it on for a good 3/4 hours every evening.
It will assist in drying damp clothes and boots too so it is definitely useful.
It even has a remote control so one can fire it up from the comfort of a bed.
I really have been spoilt with this heater and the likes of Eberspacher and Webasto must be having kittens with these heaters flooding the market...or have they been ripping people off for years? :roll:
I believe it is necessary to change the fuel pipe to meet B.S.C. standards but don't quote me on that.
One last thing I have found is that they like a fully charged battery and because of this, I keep the battery charger on all the time when using the heater and that way it works like a dream.
Well, I can't really fault these heaters and even if it lasted one season, I would say it is an unbelievable value.
Let me just finish off by adding that it does exactly what it says on the tin and probably the best purchase I have made in a very long time. :D

Short Term Discomfort, Long Term Gain...
Gotchamark

Re: A Boater's Opinion Of Chinese Diesel Heaters

Post by Gotchamark »

I am looking for an 8 kw unit to fit on my 40ft sailing boat. Do you know any one who can fit these heaters?
Many thanks
Mark

Miles
Site Admin

Re: A Boater's Opinion Of Chinese Diesel Heaters

Post by Miles »

Personally, I would recommend doing it yourself even if you have limited ability.
It is child's play and there are so many videos online to help you fitting it.
If you pay someone in the marine industry to fit it, you will be paying over the amount it requires.
A friend of mine was told by a marine engineer recently that it would take him 8 hours at £50 per hour to fit two new engine mounts to a Volvo Penta MD5A.
I did it in under two hours and I am just an idiot with spanners.
If you need any help at all? Feel free to ask here as I have fitted mine and know it is quite simple.
Alternatively, you can buy the all in one units and not have the hassle of all the fitting etc.

Short Term Discomfort, Long Term Gain...