• Administrator

Don't Booze & Cruise Carry On...

There's always a lot of events happening on the Norfolk Broads & here you can post any topics on the forum relating to Norfolk Broads news.
Miles
Site Admin

Don't Booze & Cruise Carry On...

Post by Miles »

drunk-2673385_1280.jpg
Right, we are at the stage now that even the ITV News network is reporting on the booze problem on the Norfolk Broads.
There is a classic saying, don't argue or explain yourself to a drunk or an idiot....
So what is the point in telling people not to get **** faced and get in trouble on the rivers?
The fact of the matter is the problem exists and even Einstein said that you can't change a problem or situation by trying to use the same way of thinking that got you in this mess.
There is only one solution and with the staycation surge coming with the Ibiza crowd, then it has to be stamped out today.
The boatyards need to tell hirers that they can't go to the helm p@@@@d and If they do...it is over for them. The boat goes back to the yard.
Same for private boaters, if you are p@@@@d, you are taken off the rivers.
Failure to do this is going to be deadly and it can be avoided if it is dealt with today.
Approaching is an iceberg and everyone knows it but chooses to ignore

See ITV video here...
https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2021-07 ... the-broads
Attachments
iceberg.jpeg
iceberg.jpeg (6.08 KiB) Viewed 301 times

Norfolk Broads Forum was started in 2017. :D
Graham

Re: Don't Booze & Cruise Carry On...

Post by Graham »

Not to forget we certainly don't hear about all alcohol / drug related incidents. Many do and probably will go unreported.
This soft approach will never work, there is no deterrent.
It says a lot when you see hire-craft pass with tins / glasses openly on display and drinking taking place while at the helm.
The news report was good, but it didn't really highlight the seriousness of it.
BA, BB and others need to toughen up a bit. Making it clear that it will not be tolerated.
FFS it really isnt rocket science. Having no toll is made to sound more serious.
2021-07-24-050058_1366x768_scrot.jpg

"When you truly don't care what anyone thinks of you, you have reached a dangerously perfect level of freedom"
Graham

Post by Graham »

' ... It says a lot when you see hire-craft pass with tins / glasses openly on display and drinking taking place while at the helm ...'

Obviously meaning no one is giving a flying one about it !!

"When you truly don't care what anyone thinks of you, you have reached a dangerously perfect level of freedom"
Graham

Post by Graham »

Shower thought ...
If I drive my car with a tin of Stella sloshing about on the dashboard, music cranked up, shouting and laughing, taking a swig from said tin .. There is a high, very high probability that I would get stopped, and if found to be over the limit be unceremoniously ejected from my car and given a free ride to the police station ... No doubt I would lose my license and be given points, my insurance would go up, and all the rest that goes hand in hand .. This is providing I didn't injure or kill anyone, if so then I would be getting a free holiday and worrying about the whole dropping a bar of coal tar deal.
Yes its an extreme example 'or is it ?' and the logistics of policing it are of course not the same. But at the end of the day the consequences of drinking while in charge can be, the water is just as busy at peak as many roads.

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles »

Yet, even though you are totally right and all can see the negative consequences...it gets ignored.
It is madness, in fact, it is criminal.

Must we all wait till some poor sod is killed by an ******* at the helm **** faced? As that event is just being promoted to happen. It is inevitable and it is like giving a three year old a box of matches at a petrol station. :roll:

Norfolk Broads Forum was started in 2017. :D
Graham

Post by Graham »

Yes absolutely it is indeed criminal. Well the thoughts are all in black and white. You Miles, have highlighted the problems in numerous posts. I am sure that BA, BB and hire yards read the forum, I imagine even JP takes a glance ;)
When the s*** hits the fan again, and it will, they can look back, then wash the red stuff off their hands.
As you said action needs to be taken now before it is too late.
It is not hard to implement from the yards. A simple legally binding contract / statement from the police, given to and signed by the person hiring, not just highlighting the dangers and pointing to some half baked videos, but stating the bylaws, and them agreeing to not drink alcohol while underway etc .. If they do, or are seen to then end of .. BA, BB and the media needs to man up and grab hold of this.
It all falls on monetary influenced deaf ears :roll: It wouldn't fix the problem of course, but it would be a quick and easy starting point.
When it happens again ... I imagine the response will be JP on radio Norfolk giving it all the talk, hey action speaks much louder !!