• Administrator

Video's working well then!

There's always a lot of events happening on the Norfolk Broads & here you can post any topics on the forum relating to Norfolk Broads news.
Graham

Video's working well then!

Post by Graham »

Seriously FFS Just think how this could have ended up.

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/be-water-a ... nt-7927464

Miles
Site Admin

Re: Video's working well then!

Post by Miles »

I have only just seen this and can't believe what I am seeing.
That lad could very likely have gone through the propeller of that boat or another.
With a chap getting crushed at Ludham already, I have decided to delay my boat going back in till September.
I just hope it doesn't get really bad again.

Short Term Discomfort, Long Term Gain...
Graham

Post by Graham »

Afternoon Miles.
Yes my thoughts exactly. The whole situation could have gone bad very quickly.
To be fair I don't blame you about delaying until September.
Hopefully no more incidents, but with the crazy season yet to start ...

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles »

To be quite honest, it fills me with dread when the large hire boats come back out.
People insist it is good for the economy just like they tell you the Royal family is good for tourism.
It has never been good for my economy and has always cost me money in boat repairs.
Although at this time, the weather is not quite hitting the Goldilocks zone I do miss being out on the river. I find it frustrating that concerns for safety and property protection are so high that folks have to avoid certain times and places to protect their boats etc.
I am coming to the end phase now of a three year restoration project and I am adamant that public moorings have to be avoided like a Covid invested pigeon.
I have noticed that since lockdown was relaxed recently the waters and marinas are like ghost towns.
Where one would expect to see many cleaning and polishing their boats, it is now mainly empty and void of activities.
It is odd times indeed and I can not help but feel ambivalent and extremely cautious of this coming season.

Graham

Post by Graham »

I completely understand what you are saying Miles. But even today been on and off border-line crazy busy, at least along the stretch close to Oby. A strange mix of the large hire craft, private broads boats and more boats than I have ever seen that are more suited to crossing bay of Biscay than cruising down the river, I think if I owned such a boat I would be much further afield.
Understandable about the damage you have sustained over time, and it must be frustrating with the restoration nearing the end, I am sure that you want to launch and use! I totally agree, people should not have to think about time and places where the risk will be less, it goes against everything the broads should be about. Wild moorings will be my friend this season.
I also have to agree with you about the marina(s) some where I am haven't been touched since March 2020, in fact a couple still have the remains of BA notices on them. A certain lack of enthusiasm in the air. But maybe an amalgamation of things.
Time will tell.

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles »

I personally think anything about 23/25 feet should have a professional skipper.
Imagine hiring a big boat and being skippered...sure let the kids have a little go but when it comes to the tricky bit...let the skipper bring you in.
Near on zero damage and near on zero fatalities.

Graham

Post by Graham »

I think its fair to say that the broads has become a 'free for all' (no BA monetary pun intended) The only comparison I can fairly make is in France where things are very different.
Your point is well made Miles 'In an ideal world' the size of some hire craft with potentially a person with little or no experience in charge is scary. I would also like to see severe penalties for drinking and being in control of basically anything that floats, but that's an age old argument that will never be endorsed as it should. There are many things that could be done, but wont be done as it would upset the 'financial flow' Have lessons been learnt from last year? Has enough been done?
Time will tell. Ref: Videos
People will get injured or worse, and private boats will undoubtedly get damaged, then what.. move forward with a few more videos.
I read elsewhere that too much regulation would spoil peoples fun on holiday, and only so much can be done as once people have the boat its down to them. That's true, but as mentioned in a previous post something more visual maybe.. a video briefing before charge of a boat is taken, nothing wrong in showing what happens when a decent joint of Tesco finest meat meets a propeller, scare tactics work!
A deposit large enough to hurt if damage is incurred, and straight home with no refund if caught over the limit. Never going to happen of course. It would upset the 'puppets'
I am fortunate in the fact I can work from almost anywhere and spend a lot of time in the summer working from my boat. More times than not you can hear many of the hire boats before you see them, the loud music and the shouting, the obligatory cans bottles at the helm ... Something we have all seen, but you only get a true representation if you are several hours watching a busy stretch of water.
I sincerely hope that by the end of September there has not been a rinse and repeat of last season.
But anyway Happy Bank Holiday Monday!

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles »

The priority on the Norfolk Broads is money and that is the single reason why it is permitted to become a national dodgem park.
The moment any fatalities happen is the exact moment measures should be made to prevent it from reoccurring.
Raising tolls and making animated videos that probably cost a tenner online are a strong indication that nothing has been done.
It is very easy to become a NIMBY when one spends a lot of time on the rivers but what I have also found is that the Broads Authority and the very large hire boat companies act like they own the Norfolk Broads.
The reality of the situation is we all have a right to navigate tidal waters and anybody endangering lives should have their collar felt.