• Administrator

2021 Tolls Raise & 2020 Safety Issues

There's always a lot of events happening on the Norfolk Broads & here you can post any topics on the forum relating to Norfolk Broads news.
Miles
Site Admin

2021 Tolls Raise & 2020 Safety Issues

Post by Miles »

IMG_20200710_201430.jpg
Like many others I am surprised to see the Norfolk Broads tolls increase during a time of heavily restricted boat use.
In addition, the tragic events of 2020 in my opinion are not being given the level of changes to regulations that they so desperately need.
It is obviously a delicate subject, however, I personally fail to see how a link to animated videos being emailed in advance of boats being hired is going to make the slightest bit of difference to the safety of boaters.
People who hold a car driving licence can be seen minute by minute driving down the roads, looking at their phones, failing to indicate, overtaking at junctions, tailgating, brake checking......the list goes on and on. What stops it is enforcement of regulations.
Video tuition about boat safety should be mandatory before any boat leaves it's boat yard. In many cases these instructional videos could even be watched in the vessels.
As a child I remember short but chilling safety programs about the dangers of playing in building sites etc. They were graphic and they worked.
Boat safety videos need to be accurate and they need to get people's attention.
If a safety video made it clear about the dangers of boat propellers, why putting a boat in reverse when someone is overboard is dangerous, navigation whilst intoxicated etc....it could save lives.
I am all for more rangers on the Norfolk Broads and they have a difficult job to do at times. Nobody can deny that but like the Police they can't be everywhere at once.
It seems a lot of incidents occur around moorings and I wonder whether the presence of Broads Authority volunteers at moorings could help significantly.
Not only with collisions, fisherman, mooring up but also help the administration side of accident reports, misconduct and violations.
Unfortunately I don't see the Norfolk Broads is going to be safer for all than it was in 2020.
This is not a personal invalidation of any authority or marine business but with a heavily predicted staycation surge, I wonder whether enough is really being done to stop horrific incidents from occuring again.
Attachments
IMG_20200711_201624.jpg

Short Term Discomfort, Long Term Gain...
Miles
Site Admin

Re: 2021 Tolls Raise & 2020 Safety Issues

Post by Miles »

If this video is an indication of animated safety videos? Then they are likely to do more harm than good.
In this video, it clearly indicates to come into a mooring in neutral...that can only end badly. Either panicking and putting back in wrong gear or too higher revs.
It is just too glib and voluble in my opinion and should contain real life footage demonstrating tidal conditions, the use of gears and rudder control.
Also it should indicate where other crew should and should not be during mooring up.
One very important message should be what to do when someone falls in at the moorings. I have seen kids slide in-between the boats and key headings.
People standing on top of boats too....these messages need to be clear.

Short Term Discomfort, Long Term Gain...
Graham

Re: 2021 Tolls Raise & 2020 Safety Issues

Post by Graham »

I totally agree with you Miles. You only have to look at the advertising. 'Boats are easy to drive' etc etc.
An aircraft is easy to fly once its in the air!
As for the so called instruction videos. I imagine for some, loading the boxes of Stella will take priority.
At the very least when a hire boat is lifted it should IMO have a cage fitted.
As you say its impossible for the rangers to be everywhere, so maybe BA and BB should be looking at alternatives.
Hard hitting verbal / visual showing the dangers would help, I also remember those building site warnings etc, and more recently the drink driving ones.
A large damage deposit would also help!
PS. I am sure the raise in the tolls was an error and it was meant to be a refund. :roll: They really do take the p*** Almost tempted to send an email just for the patronizing reply!