• Administrator

Do Hire Boats Need Propeller Cages?

There's always a lot of events happening on the Norfolk Broads & here you can post any topics on the forum relating to Norfolk Broads news.
Miles
Site Admin

Do Hire Boats Need Propeller Cages?

Post by Miles »

It is very disturbing to learn of people getting caught up iin boat propellers.
It really is the stuff of nightmares.
Daily, I see hire craft going passed with multiple people standing on top without lifejackets and it is an accident waiting to happen.
It is no secret that tuition on hire boats is wholly inadequate but surely this year of all indicates more than ever that something has to change.
When someone does fall off a boat, it is a normal instinct to put a boat in reverse....this is deadly.
People must be told this before they go out.

https://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co.uk/ ... -1-6802060
Attachments
boat propelled guard2.JPG
boat propelled guard2.JPG (27.78 KiB) Viewed 479 times

Short Term Discomfort, Long Term Gain...
Miles
Site Admin

Re: Hire Boats Need Propeller Cages

Post by Miles »

boat propelled guard2.JPG
boat propelled guard2.JPG (27.48 KiB) Viewed 476 times
Would I Fit A Propeller Guard To My Boat?

The answer is a definite, yes.

I would feel a lot happier knowing the propeller could not kill someone or hit anything. It would also help avoid snagging ropes etc.
I once snagged an old mud weight which destroyed my propeller.

What About Boat Handling & Manoeuverabiity?

I appreciate that many boats might have some diminishment of control with regards to perhaps mooring up etc but speed should not be an issue as fast acceleration is not something required on the Norfolk Broads.

Regarding the hire boats, then a lot of these hire vessels especially top-end models have a bow and stern thrusters in many cases.
The decision on whether or not to fit a prop guard is a personal one and one that should be made only once a full appraisal of the pros and cons of prop guards has been carried out. - R.Y.A.
Purpose Of Propeller Guards.
  • To protect the propeller and gearbox from damage in the event of a prop striking a rock or other hard object.
  • To protect a person in the event they come into contact with a moving propeller.
Personally, I think the hire boat industry should have propeller guards/cages fitted as standard. Whether this is technically possible with regards to the control and manoeuvrability of vessels? I do not know the answer to that. I am not a marine engineer.

The real question is would it save lives?

Here is what the R.Y.A. have to say about the subject and this PDF attachment tells of such a horrific accident on the canals. It is disturbing, however, this subject is.
Fatal_Injuries_from_Propeller_Flyer.pdf
(192.32 KiB) Downloaded 32 times

Short Term Discomfort, Long Term Gain...
avg45

Re: Do Hire Boats Need Propeller Cages?

Post by avg45 »

I think it's the hirers that need a cage rather than the props!!!!!