• Administrator
  •  
    ⛵ Norfolk Broads Forum now features a blog, classifieds & forum ⛵
    Thanks To All Who Signed Petition

Hunter's Sailboats Going Electric

Norfolk Broads Forum - There's always a lot of events happening on the Norfolk Broads & here you can post any topics relating to Norfolk Broads news.
Miles
Site Admin

Hunter's Sailboats Going Electric

Post by Miles » June 4th, 2020, 3:50 pm

Screenshot_20200604-154051.jpg
Many will be familiar with the 80 year old wooden sailboats that you see quanting the rivers of the Norfolk Broads in the summer season.
Got to admire the hirers in these cases as they are without engines...until now.
Apparently most of the fleet has been modified with electric outboards.
I personally am experimenting with electric propulsion and currently use an electric outboard, however, the inboards are currently very expensive which is a bummer.
I wonder how long it will be till all these smokey diesels are a thing of the past?
It might be a lot closer than folks realise.
Attachments
Cruise-2.0-768x768.jpg

David

Re: Hunter's Sailboats Going Electric

Post by David » June 5th, 2020, 4:42 pm

BA would need to install more electricity posts if there was a large uptake in electric propulsion, but must admit having had a quick trip to Dilham last night in Sutton Staiths latest electric boat with Robert it was lovely and piece full, just to change the subject slightly I met the new owner of Iddly Diddly to day at Sutton, bit of a strange gent he wants the mast removing and shipping to Oulton Broad so he can take his boat down later
A boat makes a big hole in the water in to which you throw money

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » June 6th, 2020, 3:48 pm

Yes he wants the mast lowered safely so he can get to Oulton.
I suggested Rob at Sutton as he has quite a youthful team and it takes considerable mast lowering experience to do it without damage or injury.
I have met a few who have wrecked the mast or fittings.
He just wants to cruise on the Broads and work online at the same time which is a perfect combination.
He couldn't have timed it better as I doubt anyone will ever have the rivers to themselves in the summer again.

David

Post by David » June 7th, 2020, 11:54 am

He was saying that he has come back from China just before the lockdown, it sounded like he was in between accommodation at the moment and is sort of stoping on the boat and wants to be down at Oulton I hope he enjoys this quiet time it's only going to get more busy as the summer moves on and restrictions are lifted
A boat makes a big hole in the water in to which you throw money