• Administrator
  •  
    ⛵ Norfolk Broads Forum now features a blog, classifieds & forum ⛵
    Thanks To All Who Signed Petition

No Ambiguity From RYA

Norfolk Broads Forum - There's always a lot of events happening on the Norfolk Broads & here you can post any topics relating to Norfolk Broads news.
Miles
Site Admin

No Ambiguity From RYA

Post by Miles » May 11th, 2020, 8:50 am

Boating wave
Boating wave

Well, the Prime Minister certainly left many people scratching their heads as to what the general public can or can't do. :roll:

Not the case with the RYA I might add. :D

They have been campaigning hard to get boaters allowed on marinas to check on their boats for safety and maintenance.

Well it looks like we can all get out there now and do some proper social distancing on the rivers and lakes on the Norfolk Broads.

Be interesting to see how the Broads Authority react to this change from May 13th.

Not sure how it affects the hire boats exactly but I can live with them social distancing on a perpetual basis...or rather my boat can lol...no offence intended.

https://www.rya.org.uk/newsevents/news ... .facebook

Miles
Site Admin

Re: No Ambiguity From RYA

Post by Miles » May 11th, 2020, 8:58 am

However the Broads Authority Twitter account clearly seem to have also found Boris's statement ambiguous.
We understand that the Prime Minister's statement yesterday evening was not entirely clear regarding access to the Broads and nearby areas for boating and recreational purposes.

Please await a further update from the Authority later on today if you have any questions. Thank you.

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » May 11th, 2020, 2:54 pm

I find this quote below insulting of the Broads Authority to post this on their FB page regarding the Prime Minister's statement last night.
This is an attempt at censorship.
The Prime Minister was speaking to the nation as a whole and just because they have yet to assimilate what he stated it does not permit them to censor boaters own understanding of the speech.
In my opinion their obvious delay in making any comments regarding this matter makes me highly suspicious that they are searching for more ways to prevent people from maintaining/attending their boats whilst they carry on charging boat owners tolls for boats they can not access.

"At this moment in time, comments that include personal speculation and interpretation of yesterday's announcement from the PM is not helpful for getting out clear messages. Your comment may be hidden if it falls into this category so we can ensure clarity and avoid confusion".

Thank you!

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » May 11th, 2020, 5:55 pm

Apparently the BA have now to contact DEFRA...why?
Nobody knows. :roll:

Broads Authority Statement, 11 May.

In light of revised Government guidelines issued on 10 May, the Authority is urgently consulting Defra (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) tomorrow morning (12 May) to seek clarification regarding how this is interpreted in the Broads, in particular whether private boaters are able to use their vessels on the waterways from Wednesday 13 May onwards.

In the meantime, the UK Government has updated their general guidance on what you can and can't do as of Wednesday. Whilst the advice is still to stay at home as much as possible, from then onwards you will be able to leave your home and drive to exercise or spend time outdoors multiple times a day.

This means that members of the public can now drive to access public spaces such as footpaths and cycleways within the Broads as long as they follow all of the conditions around social distancing from people that are not within your household. There is no limit on the distance that is acceptable to travel for exercise or to access outdoor space, however only day trips are permitted.

Angling is also specifically named as an acceptable sport from 13 May.

Please bear with us whilst we confirm what the guidance entails regarding paddle and water sports. We aim to issue more comprehensive information tomorrow.

We continue urge people to take care to follow guidelines and respect social distancing. Plan ahead to ensure the safety of you and those around you and try to avoid areas that may attract lots of people.

Thank you.

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » May 11th, 2020, 6:01 pm

The role of DEFRA...

Defra develops and implements policy on the environment, food and rural issues. It has responsibility for protecting biodiversity, the countryside and the marine environment, and for supporting the growth of a sustainable green economy, including rural communities, and British farming and food production.

David

Post by David » May 12th, 2020, 3:32 pm

We the BA have now said the broads are open for sailing/paddle boarding/canoeing but ate still awaiting clarification if motor boats are allowed out for day trips and they will update tomorrow.
I made a call to Broads Exge Monday to check if it is possible to attend my boat to carry out maintenance and turn on my bilge pumps on Saturday 16th and was bluntly told no the Marina is shut and until such a time as the BA says the broads are open we not allowing anybody on site, I thought that was a bit harsh considering it is my property and I have paid for the privilege of morning and the government has allowed people to travel from Wednesday.
The boat is booked to be lifted out in the first week of June for a hull repaint and antifoul so some how I will be fetching it even if I have to get a lift round by boat.
A boat makes a big hole in the water in to which you throw money

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » May 13th, 2020, 7:33 am

That is appalling treatment and personally I would tell the marina owner to stuff it and relocate

Those moorings are also on tidal water and only an act of parliament or water receeding can prevent freedom of travel as you have a right to navigate.

Every boat needs attention and if maintenance and security is not regarded as
essential
by the marina owner? Then they can pay for any damages sustained and I would not even consider using them again.

No threats or danger to the marina owners or other boat owners could have occurred with self distancing.

I would also add that marine insurance may be void if any boats sink or received water ingress as maintenance is essential.

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » May 13th, 2020, 10:29 am

Just heard Broadsedge will be open from tomorrow from 9:30 to 4:30, no pump out, bog block or water but "Gentlemen, start your engines!" 😃😃😃
Facebook source

David

Post by David » May 13th, 2020, 5:10 pm

Yes had a phone call from Dave at Broads Edge this morning, a complete change in attitude and was as helpful as can be, he must just have been having a bad day on Monday, so off to check on the old girl Saturday to make sure it hasn't turned into a "U" Boat and get a few odd jobs done before its haul out on Monday the 1st at Sutton so I can get started on the hull "yippee"
A boat makes a big hole in the water in to which you throw money