• Administrator

Hire Boats Not To Pay Tolls... WTF?

Norfolk Broads Forum - There's always a lot of events happening on the Norfolk Broads & here you can post any topics relating to Norfolk Broads news.
Miles
Site Admin

Hire Boats Not To Pay Tolls... WTF?

Post by Miles » March 27th, 2020, 7:22 pm

I have heard from two sources that hire boats will have Broads tolls waived if they do not get hired this year.

Now I have not confirmed this so this remains in a state of speculation for the time being..

What I was told is that private boat owners will be required to pay as normal.

Now the trouble I have with this, if it is true? is how the Broads Authority have pursued tolls previously when people have refused to pay them when they have just sat in adjacent waters and never entered main navigation areas.

If the hire boats are in the water? Then surely they should be liable to pay tolls just like any other boater.

They can't have one rule for the hire boat industry and one rule for private boaters. That is discrimination.

At the end of the day, it's not any private boaters fault that these hire boat companies have hundreds of boats.

Either charge tolls or don't...they can't discriminate.
⛵ Norfolk Broads Forum now features a blog, classifieds & forum ⛵

David

Re: Hire Boats Not To Pay Tolls

Post by David » March 28th, 2020, 5:23 pm

I just happened to be looking at the Broads Authority website this morning and it states that tolls are still due on the 1st but due to the current situation the authority would work with boaters if they cannot pay at this time, also any hire craft that is in storage would not be liable for tolls at this time ( it doesn't state wether in or out of the water ) it also lists what yards are open for fuel and pump out, most are appointment only except Sutton Staith and Ludham Bridge which are open as usual with social distancing in place
A boat makes a big hole in the water in to which you throw money

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » March 28th, 2020, 8:44 pm

Apparently they will be applying for Government support through loss of hire boat tolls.
Shows what we all suspected with regards to priorities.
As far as I am concerned...a boat is a boat no matter who owns it. If it's in the water then it's liable just like any others. If there is any truth to this, then I will take them all out of the water and they can go without.

avg45

Post by avg45 » March 29th, 2020, 12:28 pm

I totally agree with you Miles. Perhaps we should wait and see if it is true and if most people have already paid their tolls for this year, maybe we should all band together and refuse to pay our tolls next year in protest. :)

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » March 29th, 2020, 2:59 pm

I doubt anyone has paid them yet.

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » March 31st, 2020, 7:55 pm

If every private boater registered their boat as a hire boat this year, would they too be exempt from Broads Tolls?
At a time of great concern and financial strain to many people, the Broads Authority should not be discriminating against private boaters for tolls. A boat is a boat. It is not our fault that some of these companies have hundreds of boats, perhaps they should reduce the amount instead. At the very least they should be charged like us for private boat tolls whilst boat is on the water and not making money. You can't have one rule for them and one rule for everyone else. That is discrimination.

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » April 2nd, 2020, 4:51 am

image.jpg
Some quotes from the Broads Authority in recent press release.
“Hire boat companies
have lost their
main income stream.
Hate to be one to point out the obvious Mr. Packman but the vast majority of the planet have at this current time.
after it was forced to suspend hire boat tolls during the coronavirus outbreak.
Forced by who?
Mr Packman said the BA would not charge hire boat firms tolls while their boats were not in use and added: “In doing so we have created a potential funding gap.
Well there's your problem then.

I was hoping this was an April fools joke but evidently not.

David

Re: Hire Boats Not To Pay Tolls... WTF?

Post by David » April 2nd, 2020, 5:47 pm

If the boat is in the water then it should be tolled!, I paid mine just before all this silliness started whished I had waited and seen if the BA changed their stance on boats not being used and laid up in boat yards and mariners
A boat makes a big hole in the water in to which you throw money