• Administrator

Barns Brinkcraft

Norfolk Broads Forum - Norfolk Broads boating holidays are famous worldwide. Post your questions, answers, or experiences relating to Norfolk Broads boat hire here!
David

Barns Brinkcraft

Post by David » September 2nd, 2020, 6:50 pm

Well were do I start with this post, just one comment sums up Barns Brinkcraft "shower of ****" I was moored at Horning on Saturday and got hit by a day boat belonging to yes you have guessed it Barns Brinkcraft it hit me on the starboard side towards the rear quarter that hard it broke my top rubbing strake it then had another go before reversing back out into the river and hit another cruser traveling towards Wroxham, he then hit a broads authority ranger 20min later while he was moored alongside me taking a statement regarding another day boat,I informed Barns Brinkcraft of the collision and was told to bring my boat to their yard to inspect the damage I did this on Tuesday the 1st and Mathew who I believe owns Barns Brinkcraft had a look at the damage and refused to repair the cracked wood which would entail a 6" pice splicing in he said all he would do is put some varnish on, bloody good varnish that must be I said if it can fix split wood he then flatly refused to do anything else I then said I would get the damaged fixed and send him the bill which he replied you can send as many bills as you like I will not pay any of them, with that I told him were to go and left now let's put the boot on the other foot if someone had cracked the bumper on his Aston Martin I don't think he would like it if he was offered a bit of paint to repair his crack.
I will be replacing the wood and sending him the damaged piece to stick up his arse!!! I hope he gets splinters
Under normal circumstances I might not have bothered saying anything but when the boat has only been back in the water a few weeks after having repainted the hull and varnished the wooden rails it's a bit sickening.
A boat makes a big hole in the water in to which you throw money

avg45

Re: Barns Brinkcraft

Post by avg45 » September 2nd, 2020, 6:54 pm

Hi David, why don't you send him the damaged wood via a solicitor promising legal action?

David

Post by David » September 2nd, 2020, 8:37 pm

Yes did think of something similar but by the time I have got my solicitor involved it would be more expensive than the repair, I am at the moment trying to get BA involved by emailing the hire boat tolls department and lodging a formal complaint against Barns Brinkcraft, probably won't do much good at least I can get my rant off my chest grrrrrr

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » September 3rd, 2020, 1:05 pm

Sorry to hear about this.
I know how frustrating it is and also how rude Barnes Brinkcraft is.
Firstly, I never deal directly with the hire boat companies anymore, I email the Broads Control and immediately report the incident and full details.
I will give the hire boat company one chance at being civil and if they do not respond ethically, I produce a Youtube video and upload it to share the experience with as many viewers as possible.
I have a yacht going back in at the end of this month, I am so paranoid about being damaged by hire boats that if they are still out in volume, I will wild moor and avoid any public moorings.
It is the moorings where I sustain damage.
Personally, I am sick to death of some hire boat company's attitude, they are not all the same, some are very good at what they do, however, certain companies as far as I am concerned are nothing short of criminal.
I sold a sailing boat earlier in the season and the chap who bought it has been hit by so many hire boats that he is actually having the boat lifted out of the water for three months so he can go back in later when it is quieter.
If you do make a video? Feel free to post it here.
I am always willing to help any boater who suffers boat damage and is met with a veritable barrage of bad manners from nefarious corporations.
⛵ Norfolk Broads Forum now features a blog, classifieds & forum ⛵

David

Post by David » September 4th, 2020, 7:56 pm

Thanks for the tip I have emailed Tony Wilkins at the BA to make a complaint with a photo of the damage, he did reply and suprise suprise there is nothing that they can do as its a civil mater, I think a bit of bad press is in order I might try to leave something negative on trip advisor or similar, might do a vid of placing the damaged section of wood in an envelope and sending it with a nicely penned letter 😀😀

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » September 5th, 2020, 11:13 am

It is not a civil matter if the boat that hit you failed to stop or exchange details.
That is a Broads Byelaw and therefore is indeed a Broads Authority matter.
With regards to the hire boat company, I would ask for their insurance details and if they refuse, I would let your insurers deal with them.
That sounds an expensive fix and one that you should not be paying for.
⛵ Norfolk Broads Forum now features a blog, classifieds & forum ⛵