• Administrator
  •  

Wherries at Burgh.

General non-specific Norfolk Broads Forum posts.
CATFISH

Wherries at Burgh.

Post by CATFISH »

Wherry-at-Burgh-F.jpg
and a little bit about Aylsham, including the devastation of the great flood in 1912.
[scroll down the pages]

http://aylshamhistory.org/wp-content/up ... nal9.3.pdf

The wherry Zulu, was trapped in the river Bure while unloading cargo at Aylsham and as the locks were destroyed it was unable to get back down the river and it had to be manhandled across the road near Buxton Mill.

Buxton Zulu Wherry 1912.jpg
Buxton Zulu Wherry 1912.jpg (7.64 KiB) Viewed 935 times

"Here lies the body of Mary Lee; died at the age of a hundred and three. For fifteen years she kept her virginity; not a bad record for this vicinity."
Miles
Site Admin

Re: Wherries at Burgh.

Post by Miles »

Where is that first photo with the bridge?
I thought it might have been Wayford but the building on the left doesn't correlate. Everything else does.
I know the title says Burgh but I can't quite get my head around it.
I really do love a trading wherry. I am sure the lifestyle was seriously hard but how enigmatic those big old beasts are.

Never Complain, Never Explain...
CATFISH

Post by CATFISH »

Miles wrote: January 10th, 2022, 4:39 pm Where is that first photo with the bridge?
I thought it might have been Wayford but the building on the left doesn't correlate. Everything else does.
I know the title says Burgh but I can't quite get my head around it.
I really do love a trading wherry. I am sure the lifestyle was seriously hard but how enigmatic those big old beasts are.
That's Burgh bridge, here's a postcard showing the bridge, and that top left cottage is where I once lived.
BURGH-POSTCARD-web-735x400.jpg

"Here lies the body of Mary Lee; died at the age of a hundred and three. For fifteen years she kept her virginity; not a bad record for this vicinity."
Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles »

I wsa thinking Burgh St. Peter, very interesting and thanks for sharing.
I have explored the ruins of the locks up there.

CATFISH

Post by CATFISH »

Miles wrote: January 10th, 2022, 6:49 pm I wsa thinking Burgh St. Peter, very interesting and thanks for sharing.
I have explored the ruins of the locks up there.
here's a couple of links of interest,[you may have discovered them already,] but they might be new to others.
https://burghlife.co.uk/our-village/

http://www.norfolkmills.co.uk/index.html
and another copy of Aylsham history society journal, with references to Wherries, and navigation.

http://aylshamhistory.org/wp-content/up ... nal9.1.pdf
Last edited by CATFISH on January 10th, 2022, 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles »

What a lovely place to have lived.
I had a great day out there once and completely forgot about this video I did on the day.
Pretty sure this is Burgh Bridge at 4 minutes into the video.
Burgh Bridge.png
Just think of all those people who have been coming to the Norfolk Broads for years and don't even know about this stretch of river.
Although it's probably not too popular an idea to have Richo's boats thundering up there, I really would love to see it restored to at least be navigable by kayak or sailing dinghy. After all, this is what these waterways were once all about.
Sod all these stampeding boats everywhere, I like peace, tranquillity and beautiful surroundings.

CATFISH

Post by CATFISH »

Miles wrote: January 10th, 2022, 7:13 pm What a lovely place to have lived.
I had a great day out there once and completely forgot about this video I did on the day.
Pretty sure this is Burgh Bridge at 4 minutes into the video.

Burgh Bridge.png

Just think of all those people who have been coming to the Norfolk Broads for years and don't even know about this stretch of river.
Although it's probably not too popular an idea to have Richo's boats thundering up there, I really would love to see it restored to at least be navigable by kayak or sailing dinghy. After all, this is what these waterways were once all about.
Sod all these stampeding boats everywhere, I like peace, tranquillity and beautiful surroundings.

That's burgh lock Miles, 4 minutes in.

I met this friendly character on many occasions by the river very close to the bridge, this is his remarkable story.

https://burghlife.co.uk/2017/11/10/clown-roma/

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles »

I was lucky one day to explore that area.

I envy you...what a lovely place to have lived.

CATFISH

Post by CATFISH »

If you ever wish to explore further, let me know, I'm sure we can work something out.
8-)

I reckon if boris the buffoon and princess nut-nut can have loads of people round for a party or two,, well two old boys should be able to walk along a remote riverbank without causing too much of a stir., eh? ;)