• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome To The Norfolk Broads Forum

Historical landmark irreparably damaged by vandals

General non-specific Norfolk Broads Forum posts.
Graham

Historical landmark irreparably damaged by vandals

Post by Graham »

"When you truly don't care what anyone thinks of you, you have reached a dangerously perfect level of freedom"
Miles
Site Admin

Re: Historical landmark irreparably damaged by vandals

Post by Miles »

I read this the other day and it left me perplexed.
Obviously, I don't condone vandalism and despise graffiti but isn't this article a little late by say a few centuries?
The St.Benets Abbey is full of etchings and names/dates carved into the Caen limestone.
It is definitely, a turd thing to do and if caught they should have had their collars felt...which is possible judging by the fact the primates have carved their own names and dated it...in fact, they probably made a Youtube video about it.
Due to previous graffiti and etchings, it is the classic case of seeing a sign that says, 'Wet Paint Don't Touch!'...you get people who touch it to see if it's wet :roll:
Likewise, someone will fly-tip and that sets it off for others.
I don't know the solution to prevent this from happening again, however, somebody somewhere knows who did it.
Even the churches have scratches from the days of the dissolution. Irstead certainly does and maybe Ranworth church too.
I can't remember whether there are any signs inside about this but rather than say...NO GRAFFITI! ...perhaps a sign saying, 'Please Report Any Criminal Damage Immediately!' and have a telephone number/email.
I find it hard to fathom why people wouldn't have the deepest respect for this environment and its monuments. Like most others, I take it very personally.

Norfolk Broads Forum was started in 2017. :D
Graham

Post by Graham »

I only saw it this morning. But yes that's a very good point Miles. On par with the many dated initials etc carved in various trees around the Blickling estate.
No doubt is is documented somewhere on social media along with a denial of any wrong doing, and indeed yes 'sheep follow sheep' I am sure a no graffiti sign would be read without the 'no' part.
Your mention of reporting any criminal damage is a far better solution.
I guess historically carving 'something' on wall's etc has always been a thing, tower of London and as mentioned various churches, although I get the feeling Shay, Siddon and Cartmell etc wont be appearing in any history books. :roll:

"When you truly don't care what anyone thinks of you, you have reached a dangerously perfect level of freedom"
CATFISH

Post by CATFISH »

Hardly surprising really, the acclaim given to the likes of banksy and similar might just give out the wrong message,
some talent less scrotes attempts are frowned upon as vandalism?
in reality they are both defacing other peoples property.

you don't hail a suicide bomber as being clever,, just 'cos he builds a better bomb!

"Here lies the body of Mary Lee; died at the age of a hundred and three. For fifteen years she kept her virginity; not a bad record for this vicinity."
Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles »

Unfortunately the waterways are not exempt from sociopaths. Many fly tip and are known for it. They are like a rabid dog and quite frankly only appear to respond to short, sharp shocks.

I came in to moor at Stalham Staithe one afternoon. There were two fat blokes and their girlfriends fishing. When I came out the boat later in the evening, they had left packets and packets of crisps and sweet wrappers behind. Literally a carrier bag full.
I was mortified that someone would do that and leave all that crap behind.
Anyway, I picked it all up and stuck it in the bin.
The very next day they came back and did exactly the same thing again.
So what is the solution?
I guess there isn't one other than catching people in the act.
People seem to think they have a right to everything nowadays. This delusion of entitlement.
As far as I am concerned, nobody is entitled to any rights, human or not. Rights are just like respect. It is earned not demanded.

You see it now with France and the migration across the English Channel.

29 people died yet France gets offended by a letter...it's a joke and a bad one.

People should always be held responsible for their actions.
If someone fly tips on the waterways, they should be busted for it.
Someone vandalises an ancient monument, they should be named and shamed and fined silly.
My bet is they probably posted it on Facebook, I am sure they could be traced. The world is a small place online.

There is a couple in Hoveton who get up everyday at the crack of dawn. They walk all the way down through the viaduct to the very end collecting bags of rubbish.
All the rubbish is discarded by boats especially dayboats...yet hardly anybody knows they do it because they do it so early. If they didn't the riverbank would be full of rubbish.

I'd post a reward on Facebook etc...get £500 if you identify these vandals. When they do, get them to pay their own rewards as fines.

Hopefully they would be so offended, they might think twice about doing it again.

Hurry up summer...this weather is offending me badly. :roll:

Norfolk Broads Forum was started in 2017. :D
CATFISH

Post by CATFISH »

many people love and cherish our countryside and especially those who live and work within it, but there are a great number of entitled thrushes who drop litter, cans and bottles, trespass, often with crime in mind, who couldn't give a toss about it or anywhere else for that matter, you only have to look at the shiteoles they originate from.

as I said previously, If you have an area of outstanding natural beauty, or habitat that needs protection, just add people and it will be abused and ruined in a very short time.
the big players don't care,, as long as the profits continue to roll in.

"Here lies the body of Mary Lee; died at the age of a hundred and three. For fifteen years she kept her virginity; not a bad record for this vicinity."