• Administrator

Boating Season 2021 - Will It Happen?

General non-specific Norfolk Broads Forum posts.
Miles
Site Admin

Boating Season 2021 - Will It Happen?

Post by Miles »

locked gate.jpg
Well, here we all are coming into a new year and a Norfolk Broads boating season only some 12 weeks or so away...or is it?
Sadly, the country comes to a standstill once again as the stuff of nightmares unleashes causing death and misery to so many.
Truly some heroes exist during these times and my hat goes off to them. At a time when the hospitals are overwhelmed and most of the world lives in fear of what is going to actually happen next.

How will this affect private boaters?

Will the Broads Authority enrage boat owners yet again by exempting commercial boating from tolls whilst private boaters are dealt a very different hand indeed?

I myself received a contravention notice a meer four days into the boating season during a global pandemic lockdown, on a boat that was waiting to be lifted out of the water. It was moored some 30 metres away from the boatyard waiting for the lift out operator to come out of isolation.
Oddly enough, no copy of this notice was adhered to my vessel. Even weirder, I got a heavy letter from the Broads Authority demanding tolls on that boat some six months later...even though it had been on the boatyard getting restored for the boating season.
I was so angered that when the boat was ready to go back in the rivers after being freshly painted and the engine rebuilt, I decided to sell the boat as they still expected me to pay a full year's tolls on a boat that was due to go back in 8 months into the boating season.

The point here is that no private boat owners will get any concessions from the Broads Authority regarding tolls for 2021 even though it looks like most boat owners will not even get to visit their vessels, let alone use them.

Personally, the Broads tolls system should be a pay as you go method...perhaps even added to the cost of buying boat fuel. Either way, it can only be fair if there is an exchange that flows both ways and not just one way.
By paying an annual toll, we all are in a contract with the Broads Authority. If we are prevented from using our boats whether due to Governmental restrictions or not, then there should be a concession with the Broads toll amount.

The Broads Act is archaic now and no longer in balance to the world, we now live in.
The world has changed and so too have all our lives.
Oddly enough, boating has changed too and as far I am concerned...the administrative system needs to change too.

Short Term Discomfort, Long Term Gain...
Graham

Re: Boating Season 2021 - Will It Happen?

Post by Graham »

Very true 'and fair' Words Miles.
I do think that there will be many people holding back paying for 2021 given the current covid situation and the undeniable unfair way private boat owners have been treated.

Reading about your contravention notice. My thoughts should be along the lines of 'thats awful' or how 'completely unfair' But no, no surprise, as it is what I, and I am sure many others would expect from BA.

There are 2 boats where I moor that have the now rather soggy and unreadable BA notices on, and its clear for anyone to see those boats have not been visited since last year.
The elderly owners of one were regular users and not the type to let their boat develop a green coating.
Not that, that would make any difference to BA of course.

I personally think since March BA have really shown themselves for what they really are, or a better way maybe is confirmed what almost everyone already knew.
Ask them a question on social media or by email and often in return a free lesson in how to patronize a person. I have a copy of an email that was sent to a person at Archant who asked a very reasonable question about boat usage during the first wave of the virus, after BA contradicted themselves. The reply was akin to something that would be said to a 5 year old. This was after they checked what the reason for the email was. Presumably as it came from an Archant email address.

A pay as you go system would be the perfect and fair answer to this, and I truly think that most boat owners would be very happy with such a system in place.

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles »

If these statistics are anything to go by?
This year is going to be rough.
Attachments
IMG-20201230-WA0000.jpg

Short Term Discomfort, Long Term Gain...
Graham

Post by Graham »

Awful numbers to see.
I really think that we are heading for another 'March type' National lock-down.

Graham

Post by Graham »

Miles wrote: December 30th, 2020, 4:32 pm If these statistics are anything to go by?
This year is going to be rough.
Very-very rough if these increases continue.
feh_029850_000001_2021-01-02-154407_1366x768_scrot.jpg