• Administrator
  •  
    ⛵ Norfolk Broads Forum now features a blog, classifieds & forum ⛵
    Thanks To All Who Signed Petition

Battery Charging

Norfolk Broads Forum - General Norfolk Broads related posts.
avg45

Battery Charging

Post by avg45 » January 17th, 2020, 3:55 pm

Hi All. I wonder if anyone out there can give me some information? I have 2 x 110 amh leisure batteries and 1 x 110 amh starter battery. The two leisure batteries are linked together on the plus side of each battery, the starter battery plus side separately feeds the starter motor. All three batteries are linked together on the negative side of the batteries. I have a Solar panel wired just to the leisure batteries and my question is this:
Would the starter battery get any charge through the neutrals being linked together? I would greatly appreciate any information on this topic.

Many thanks

Alan :D :D :D :D

Miles
Site Admin

Re: Battery Charging

Post by Miles » January 17th, 2020, 5:07 pm

Your batteries must be charged individually for optimum results.
You can never charge batteries in parallel that successfully as individuals. It's always better one at a time. Batteries are in parallel so it is different resistances.
If you wish to attach a solar panel to your ignition battery then you should be fine if you directly connect to that one battery provided that you have a main battery selector isolator switch.
If you get to charge two batteries at once they won't level out like two buckets of water, one will fill up and the other will not get any. They don't balance out on an equilibrium.

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » January 17th, 2020, 5:11 pm

Having batteries in parallel will never get a balanced charge.

https://www.impactbattery.com/blog/tu ... parallel/

You could try connecting the positive of the solar panel to the ignition positive and the solar negative to the furthest away negative leisure battery. At least that way you will get a more balanced charge.
Personally I would do that with the two leisure batteries and leave the ignition battery to the alternator.

avg45

Post by avg45 » January 17th, 2020, 6:00 pm

Hi Miles. I think you possibly misread my post. The batteries are not linked in parallel as your diagram shows. The three batteries are linked through the negative terminals only, in series, but the plus sides are linked together on the leisure batteries only, and not on the starter battery. The solar panel is connected to the leisure batteries only, but will the starter battery top up through the linked neutral? That was my query.

Cheers, Alan :D :D :D :D

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » January 17th, 2020, 6:16 pm

It is not in series Alan as that would increase the voltage everytime.
In series would be positive to negative. You have two leisure batteries in parallel.
The solar charger will not filter through to the starter battery as you have it as it is imbalanced.
To get the solar panel to charge evenly so it even reaches the ignition battery you would have to do exactly what it shows in the video.
The positive of the solar must be on positive of ignition battery and the negative must be on the negative battery of final leisure and the entire batteries as a whole would have to be fully connected in parallel for it to work.