• Administrator

Stalham Staithe

Norfolk Broads Forum - General Norfolk Broads related posts.
avg45

Stalham Staithe

Post by avg45 » January 14th, 2020, 11:46 am

I have just seen on the EDP that the BA is negotiating with Stalham Council to take over the Staithe Moorings and turn them into 24 Hour BA Moorings, which will give them the power to turf off those boats that have been there for ages blocking up the moorings for anyone else. This must surely be good news if it comes about. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Alan

Vetchugger

Re: Stalham Staithe

Post by Vetchugger » January 14th, 2020, 1:37 pm

Totally agree Alan, my only slight concern is the level of success or determination to "turf off" over stayers!

BytheBroads

Post by BytheBroads » January 14th, 2020, 4:05 pm

I understand the holdup is with how long it will take the Land Registry to issue the ownership documents to Stalham Town Council so that BA can enter a legal agreement with them.
BA are under some pressure from many quarters to effectively deal with over stayers at all the locations where their regulations are in place.
They are in a better legal position now with their Live Aboard Policy and Local Plan chapters for the location of sites in sustainable locations.

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » January 14th, 2020, 4:09 pm

I don't think the Broads Authority would have any positive effect on Stalham Staithe
Without sounding like an invalidation as it is not my intention but simply an observation, the BA have lost moorings since 2014 for some reasons rather than coincidence. As a result, how long would they manage this one for?
The only way to handle Stalham Staithe is the exact policy a private marina would have and that is to physically remove boats which are trespassing.
The other problems with Stalham Staithe is it is a black spot for boats damaging other craft. Particularly hire craft as the biggest of the bunch towing a dinghy can't turn around. The sheer amount of claims and accident reports the Broads Authority will get from boat damage is colossal.
Plus it needs dredging out and the areas that need dredging are not suitable for most boats.
Personally, I think it is only suitable for day boats and dinghies.
I think the Broads Authority are probably being forced by public pressure to try and regulate the area and realise that it is going to be more trouble than it's worth.
I now believe that if it is indeed a local council owning the moorings then they should be rented out to local residents and hire craft should be prevented from going down there in the first place.
⛵ Norfolk Broads Forum now features a blog, classifieds & forum ⛵

avg45

Post by avg45 » January 14th, 2020, 5:26 pm

With regard to the last post, it could have a beneficial effect in the long run for private and smaller boats. If the hirer's of the huge hire boats keep damaging them By crashing into smaller private or hire boats and receiving many claims against themselves, then the hire companies "MAY" ban their boats from Mooring there, however in the short term it would not be a good thing. I look forward with interest the outcome of it all :D :D :D :D

Alan

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » January 14th, 2020, 5:42 pm

To be quite honest AVG45 I hope the Broads Museum can get the section that is not dredged with the visible reeds. It is an excellent spot for a boat shed with a wherry in it.
A wherry they may not have but the volunteers in there are certainly capable of reproducing a part of one for effect as they have already done inside very successfully.
Like your good self, I sit and watch and hopefully it will continue to serve its true intended purpose for generations to come free of negative influence and neglect.

avg45

Post by avg45 » January 15th, 2020, 11:42 am

Yes Miles, That would be a very good use of that part of the dyke. The only trouble is that there would possibly be nowhere to turn if the shed was too long, but a good idea all the same. :D :D :D :D
Alan

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » January 16th, 2020, 10:51 am

Well, I just visited Stalham Staithe to buy some groceries.
I nearly tripped over two dogs running out of control and off leads and the smaller of the dogs nipped my shin.
So bear that in mind.
In addition, two elderly fishermen asked me to moor somewhere else other than the only free space left.
I politely reminded them that boats mooring have priority.
It would appear that Stalham Staithe has more problems than overstayers and I do wonder if perhaps the area surrounding the whole staithe could benefit from CCTV.

avg45

Post by avg45 » January 17th, 2020, 6:02 pm

I think you are correct, CCTV would be welcome. :D :D :D