•  
    Welcome To Norfolk Broads Forum.

Running Engines At Moorings.

General Norfolk Broads related posts.
Miles
Site Admin

Running Engines At Moorings.

Post by Miles » May 14th, 2017, 2:38 pm

I was recently interviewed by BBC Look East regarding the need to have carbon monoxide alarms made mandatory in all boats which personally I think is long overdue.
I was laying in my boat's bunk recently and even with all the hatches closed I could smell an overwhelming stench of my next door neighbour's exhaust fumes.
Not only is it antisocial and outright annoying (unless someone is disembarking etc) but running engines at moorings clearly is a huge danger to other boaters.
Some boats, more so private boats smoke like locomotives with plumes of exhaust coming out and I wonder if people realise they could be endangering other people.
Just food for thought but if I can smell someone's boat exhaust inside my boat when all the hatches are closed then that is not an acceptable level of fumes.
⛵ Life is short, even on its longest day ⛵

Miles
Site Admin

Re: Running Engines At Moorings.

Post by Miles » October 29th, 2019, 7:04 pm

It is interesting to look back at old posts and to see how regulations have changed.
Many will know that carbon monoxide alarms are now mandatory for boat safety scheme.
Personally, I would like to see a total ban on boat engines been run at moorings. I had a chap just yesterday who insisted on running his engine. Twice I told him it was filling my boat with fumes and he continued to ignore me for at least an hour. The worst thing about it is I think he was too thick to understand what he was actually doing. I suspect the chance of deaths being caused by boats running engines particularly at the stern on moorings is an overlooked danger. Sadly, laws only seem to change when the unimaginable happens.
Cars are really being hit hard with diesel emissions and I suspect that in as little as 5/10 years, boat diesel engines will be like smoking was in the pubs years ago...accepted :x but now hard to believe it was accepted as being normal. :roll:
⛵ Life is short, even on its longest day ⛵