• Administrator
  •  
    Advertising Is FREE On This Forum!
    Emergency Boat Safety Ladder Click Here!

PMR radio versus CB radio

General Norfolk Broads related posts.
JohnS

PMR radio versus CB radio

Post by JohnS » May 12th, 2018, 10:24 pm

Hi does anyone on here use pmr radio on their boats? If so, what make do you use, is it any good? What kind of range do you get?
I'm thinking about getting one, as there seems to be an increasing number being used on the broads. Partly due to their cheapness and the lack of restrictions on them , in particular in regards to general chat compared to vhf. I can't seem to find a fixed 12v unit though so I might end up with a hand held version.
Same question for cab radio I guess, does anyone still use it? Have the channels changed or is it the same 40 ?
I have a vhf radio, but I'm not licensed and it's just for emergencies really, no for chatting on the broads.
Interested to get your thoughts! Thanks

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Re: PMR radio versus CB radio

Post by Dances With Otters » May 13th, 2018, 8:45 am

The VHF licence was £60 I think and unless you are in a flotilla, I can't really see any point to walkie talkies.
Treat yourself to a Mavic Pro drone. I had a go with one of these the other day and I was so impressed that it's on my immediate wish list. Alien technology for sure... awesome :D
⛵ Euneda, Euneda Boat ⛵

JohnS

Post by JohnS » May 13th, 2018, 9:04 am

I agree these new drones are great, although I’m not keen on them flying over my boat when I’m moored up.
Some of the pmr radios have a 3-6 km range now a days. And it seems to be used for instant broads news(gossip :lol: ) but useful too

BEN

Post by BEN » May 14th, 2018, 1:05 pm

PMR if used on legal power only has a range of a mile or so unless you're on top of a tower. much less than a mile down among the trees of the broads.

CB has a range of 20 or thirty miles reliably, or 400 in extreme conditions unreliably.
The orginal 40 channels are still legal, but there are 40 EU standard channels available now and type of transmissions have been added to.
CB also does not require a licence.
CB can be useful but there are nowhere as many people on it these days..
https://www.thunderpole.co.uk/cb-radio-guide.html
http://www.kcb.co.uk/shop2/contents/en- ... adios.html
https://www.cbradio.co.uk/ ( in norfolk)

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » May 14th, 2018, 7:17 pm

I had a CB as a kid. York JCB861 if I remember correctly. My father was a ham radio enthusiast so only natural I would have a CB. I think I even rigged it up on my Raleigh Chopper once just to impress the ladies. :roll:
⛵ Euneda, Euneda Boat ⛵