Boat Wood Stoves Attacked By Sadiq Khan

All posts relating to environmental issues of the Broads.
High Seas
Site Admin

Boat Wood Stoves Attacked By Sadiq Khan

Post by High Seas » March 11th, 2018, 7:33 am

Apparently, the mayor of London is targeting boats with wood burning Stoves as a major contributor to health reasons and pollution, particularly in London.
IMG-20180310-WA0006.jpg

If You Lay Down With Dogs, You Get Up With Fleas :roll:

nimue

Re: Boat Wood Stoves Attacked By Sadiq Khan

Post by nimue » March 11th, 2018, 12:01 pm

I bet you're cacking yourself Miles............not!

High Seas
Site Admin

Post by High Seas » March 11th, 2018, 12:16 pm

They can take away our wood burners but they cannot take our freedom!
braveheart.jpg
braveheart.jpg (28.42 KiB) Viewed 418 times

peterboat

Post by peterboat » March 11th, 2018, 7:33 pm

For the Broads cruiser I have a woodburning cooker with backboiler :D The big boat has a Rayburn Royal with backboiler it burns Anthracite and some occasional well seasoned wood [the last lot was 200 hundred years old roof beams] The reality is on most boats their is no other option due to high costs of diesel/gas :(
On the broads is there a reasonable supply of wood? this is a real question because in some areas of the UK wood is more expensive than smokeless fuel

High Seas
Site Admin

Post by High Seas » March 11th, 2018, 7:57 pm

Diesel heaters are great for the weekend or a short break but 20/30 litres a week is going to hit the pockets of even the well heeled of us boaters if you were to liveaboard in the winter.
This action by the mayor is likely to upset a good few people. I think he should resign immediately, how dare he.

peterboat

Post by peterboat » March 11th, 2018, 8:50 pm

On the big boat I have a bubble stove which runs on kero and so does the whispergen the last batch I bought was 40 odd pence per litre but I had to buy 1000 litres. The Rayburn is on 24/7 through the winter and the bubble stove as needed if its cold. What about wood down your end of the world cheap and easily available or expensive?

High Seas
Site Admin

Post by High Seas » March 11th, 2018, 9:40 pm

We had so many storms this year, that I literally pulled tree branches and logs out of the river on so many occasions and broke them down.
It is a bit steep price wise for seasoned logs but if I ever got stuck I would just buy a 10 kg bag of coal. I would be surprised if I have spent more than £30 throughout the winter.
I never had to go to the wood, it always came to me, very odd but very good too as I kept warm and dry and boats didn't get damaged by so many logs floating about.
I often stored the wood alongside the burner and only really fired it up when it started getting obscenely cold, by that time the wood was dry and many a memorable night were had.