• Administrator
  •  
    Advertising Is FREE On This Forum!
    You Can Support This Forum By Clicking The Advertisements.

Port and starboard.

Little known and interesting nautical and marine topics.
Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Port and starboard.

Post by Dances With Otters » December 25th, 2017, 7:22 am

Ever wonder why the left side is known as port and the right side as starboard?
Well, it's quite simple. Starboard comes from the side of a boat that would be the place of steering it.
Early Germanic peoples' boats were propelled and steered by a paddle on the right side.
And port is quite simply a reference to the docking of a vessel as in the direction of the port. However, it was once known as larboard meaning loading side but sounded too similar to starboard so it was called port instead.

Personally, left and right would have been suffice but being a boat means everything must be called something different.

⛵ Life is short, even on its longest day ⛵

Waylander

Re: Port and starboard.

Post by Waylander » December 25th, 2017, 1:23 pm

I met a private boat at Salhouse the other day and I said I generally park on the island.... They got a bit tetchy when they corrected me and said " it's called mooring" and I said " parking" again! I know all the terms I just chose not to use them sometimes! lol! Left right backwards, parking, floor, attic, celler, floaty bit and steering wheel! Hahahahaha!
Let the world flood! I live on a boat! :lol:

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » December 25th, 2017, 3:31 pm

One navigates to a mooring but one does park their arse in the Captain's chair.
⛵ Life is short, even on its longest day ⛵

Spindrift

Post by Spindrift » December 31st, 2017, 6:38 am

Waylander:

You are a rebel......................just like me!

My boat has a sharp end and a blunt end. And there is an egg beater clamped to the blunt end.

Regards.

Alan.

Hylander

Post by Hylander » December 31st, 2017, 7:00 am

Port out and Starboard home , used to be the best side of the ship to be on , on each occasion.

BEN

Post by BEN » December 31st, 2017, 7:07 am

The Left and right side of the boat change depending which way you are facing, port and starboard do not.
Port out starboard home only applied to vessel travelling to the middle or far east. It was the North side of the boat, and being away from the sun much cooler in the days before air-conditioning.

Waylander

Post by Waylander » December 31st, 2017, 4:25 pm

I always remember Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and the grandad singing " port out starboard home..... POSH" as he is carried away in his little wooden shed
Love that Film!

Deadliest catch they call the propellor a " wheel"

Spend 10mins round my Dad and I and just watch the glares I get when I tell somone to go "pull on that rope that's hanging on the stick to lift the front sail up!" Or if I'm crewing for him and shout back " anchors up!" Or the time I shouted " ready to turn round!" The more people insist I do it right the more annoying I become, yeah, I'm a smart arse! Lol
Let the world flood! I live on a boat! :lol: