• Administrator
  •  
    Advertising Is FREE On This Forum!
    You Can Support This Forum By Clicking The Advertisements.

How Not To Be A Liveaboard.

All liveaboard related posts.
Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Re: How Not To Be A Liveaboard.

Post by Dances With Otters » February 2nd, 2018, 1:42 am

However, exactly the same question is asked by people over and over again. Why is he still there?

⛵ Life is short, even on its longest day ⛵

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » February 5th, 2018, 9:09 am

Latest reports state that he is in fact still there despite being prosecuted for no tolls on a flotilla of four wrecks which are now still moored up at Sutton Staithe indefinitely.
However, he is unable to be prosecuted for all his disgusting flytipping on the way to Wayford because apparently it can not be proved that it was him. Despite his four wrecks being the only vessels moored up there for months whilst it all took place.
It would appear to me that the Broads Authority despite their greatest efforts are in fact powerless.
It is a shame for all liveaboards across the Norfolk Broads as one single person is able to destroy not only the environment but also tarnish the names of all liveaboards with his disgusting attitude and total disrespect for the environment, location and it's byelaws.

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » February 15th, 2018, 7:46 am

Well, there are four boats moored up at the end of Sutton Staithe still till this day believe it or not :? .
According to the locals at Stalham Staithe, he was moored there for an extended period too. Leaving a pile of rubbish on his exit and now the locals are unhappy about any liveaboards using the staithe.
Having used the staithe on many occasions over the past four seasons and having built an excellent rapport with the locals, I can conclude that this now had been totally ruined by the actions of one individual.
My congratulations to the Broads Authority for doing such a wonderful job of maintaining the waterways.....flunk!

peterboat

Post by peterboat » February 23rd, 2018, 5:47 pm

Waylander wrote:
December 25th, 2017, 6:41 pm
One of the people posting under this topic said there is now a large amount of rubbish at Sutton staith and some of the boats that formally occupied the site that High Seas photographed are now residing at Sutton staith which I believe to be controlled by the BA and is not private land so therefore the BA can act on this. They kicked me off Ranworth in the ice last year because I had over stayed a 24hr mooring, kinda thought that being iced in was a pretty good excuse but obviously not! Lots of councils hands are tied over rubbish and untidy tennants in houses and not just council houses, private houses have their fair share of owners who seem to believe that the garden is for rubbish and dead cars.... We shouldn't discriminate against people who choose to live their lives different to us... Yes I know this but my point is that certain people are not helping us other- pardon the use of an incorrect term, but it is how other people see us- live aboards with the image that they create. It's not just the broads, canals have the same problems and people I know who live on the canals avoid the areas where the problem boats are but are tarred with the same brush and are hounded by prejudiced people who believe that all live aboards are the same. Fortunately for them the canal system is bigger so they can avoid the worst areas. Unfortunately for us the Broad system is a lot smaller and being made smaller by the actions of the few but triggered by the problem boats. Apparently there is a wild mooring (trespass mooring) that had been made unusable by the landowner, if all were to follow suit because they don't want their land to become a rubbish tip, we will all be on BA moorings and moving off after 24 hrs but the Broads, unlike the canals, don't have enough moorings to support the hire fleet and the "live aboards" Even by the actions of this " fleet" we are being made to change our ways. We, the legal " liveaboards" can no longer use certain wild moorings due to the rubbish, I mean, would any of you go and moor next to a pile of dumped rubbish on the bank? Would any of you go and moor next to a pile of dumped rubbish on a BA 24hr mooring? Me neither! Anyone who motors past would think it was us dumping the rubbish and I imagine if a BA ranger passes then he too will think it's us doing the dumping. The actions of a certain " flotilla" are already interfering with our life style so we are being provoked by them, to complain, to each other. We are not putting our nose in where it's not wanted, we are not rattling our soap box because they are not living how we think they should live. We are on their case because they are making all our lives less pleasant and less easy by making others less tolerant of us because we are all being tarred with the gypsy liveaboard brush!
This is not a new problem either, this particular problem boat ( now boats) has been doing this for the last 8 years that I know of, yet nothing has stopped it, the owner still does it and still, apparently, gets away with it. Has that person been fined but due to lack of income is paying £5 every month towards the fine? Is this because that's all they can afford? Really? Yet they are buying boats and modern outboard engines and have a large van so obviously it's taxed and mot'd and insured so they are not destitute! I can't afford a car on my pension yet they can afford a van....do you see my point here? How can you keep a vehicle on the road if it's not taxed and insured etc? You go past an APNR equipped car or camera and you get your vehicle confiscated until you prove its legal. If you are poor and can't afford a home and you live on a boat, you live on "A" boat not 3 boats and a house boat..... Surely that's rubbing our's and the BA's noses in it? The court, if they have been prosecuted, have obviously believed ( arnt you means tested now so you can't lie about income?) that they are so poor that they can only afford to live on a boat. So how can they increase their fleet AND run a van and a shop too..... I wish I was so poor I could afford a 30' boat and a modern Honda outboard and a nice large houseboat! Nothing will happen and nothing will change and anyone who has the cahonies to tell the BA and Broads Beat and the courts that they have no income and can't afford to put food on their table will continue to live their charmed life the way they want while we get hassled for parking for two days in a mooring waiting for the ice to melt or the wind to drop so we are not willingly endangering ourselves and our vessel!
I prophesize that, eventually, local residents and the BA will be so annoyed that all forms of residing in a vessel on the Norfolk Broads will be banned, unless the BA have a proper marina built for us and by law we will only be allowed to reside in that mooring! So that we may be controlled and monitored by they who must be obeyed and we can all thank the actions of the few who made the rest of the public believe we were all the same type of persons!

Rant over! Christmas Day too!
Where is the like button?I live on CRT waterways and we have exactly the same problem boaters, I want to be a livaboard on the broads but fear that certain antisocial boaters will ruin that for me. I have to say that CRT dont make people move when the cut is iced up so clearly some of our "carers" are better than yours. I suspect I will have to pay a visit to the broads on a hire boat to get the feel of the place,and meet boaters like yourselves to chat about the differences of the broads and CRT run waters

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » February 24th, 2018, 8:44 am

I really have not had any issues other than an ex copper on another forum being a total pain in the arse. That's right Paladine, we all know who you are and the next time you go passed in your boat, 'Wytchcraft', you can be sure of a friendly wave from me and many other boaters no doubt.
The rangers are excellent in my opinion, they have a tough job at times and demonstrate a lot of patience, which personally I could not do.
I have had one encounter with an over zealous ranger near Norwich once but I can only assume he didn't know the bylaws.
That individual at Sutton Staithe is just a lost cause really and has ruined it for a lot of people. Every time he gets taken to court for non payment of tolls, he tells the judge to give him a council house then and it gets thrown out. According to a local that is what he claims.
He was pulling the trees down along the staithe the other day, threatening locals and the walkway up to his boats is covered in dog's mess. The bloke is a total disgrace and I suspect he will be looking at a prison sentence soon.
So apart from one individual, you really don't get any bother. Just continuously cruise and your fine, there are so many broads too and you can just park off there and chill.
It's certainly not geared up for liveaboards but Norfolk isn't really geared up for anything to be honest, it's a funny place.

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » March 15th, 2018, 12:14 pm

Right, I have an update.
The Pelican craft was sold untaxed to the same chap who managed to set a boat on fire at Sutton with a wood burner.
The other boats however remain at Sutton still.
I know this as I just spoke to the new owner whilst at Stalham. My opening conversation was, there goes the neighbourhood. Lol :D

nimue

Post by nimue » March 16th, 2018, 9:05 am

Just a thought..........
Yes, there are one or two liveaboards who will leave rubbish and mess,and it paints the the rest with the same brush. It will ineviatabley produce headlines like 'liveabourds trash the broads!' etc.
In some cases, the traditional methods for making people clean up after themselves clearly just don't work. No amount of summons, threats of eviction etc make any difference.
Perhaps a bit of lateral thinking.
When the beaches are covereed in rubbish, volunteers go out and clean it, it's on the telly all the time. Perhaps a bit of getting together and clearing the crap away in a similar way would change the headline from 'livaboards trash the broads' to liveaboards clean up the broads'.
It wouldn't do any harm to put a positive view on the lifestyle.

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » March 16th, 2018, 9:18 am

I prefer the name and shame method myself.
I think if an accidental environmental issue was to occur, people who be out in the hundreds to help clear a calamity.
However, clearing up after someone who is more than capable of doing it themselves is just 'developed traffic'.
I read somewhere once that if an individual does not discipline himself, life will discipline the individual.

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » March 16th, 2018, 10:26 am

I certainly wouldn't clean up after them.
2018-03-16_10-24-21.jpg

lgwarren

Post by lgwarren » March 19th, 2018, 11:56 am

Having been around a few days ago, it is a sad sight to see. It sounds and seems as though these people have not paid their tolls, are uninsured, and have not their vessels/homes passed as safe. It would occur to me that that leaves us all in danger, and enough reason for the authorities to remove them. This would not render them homeless, their homes would move, and they would still have a home. The council/authorities do not need to give them a house, just a place at a travellers mobile home site. Sorry if I sound a bit strong, but if nothing is done the problem will only get worse.