Enough Is Enough! - Running Engines - Sign The Poll!

Any security or safety issues regarding the Broads waterways.
Obstacles, vandalism, thefts, trees down etc.

Stop Boats Running Engines At Moorings?

Yes stop it, enough is enough!
85%
No keep it, 8-8 is fine.
15%

Total votes: 13

High Seas
Site Admin

Enough Is Enough! - Running Engines - Sign The Poll!

Post by High Seas » August 7th, 2017, 9:20 am

Time for some action folks! :D
Enough is enough with regards to boats running engines at moorings.
It is not only annoying and anti-social but it is outright lethal too.
We are not powerless people and neither are we ignorant to carbon monoxide poisoning.
Agreed some minority of people will stick to 8am -8pm but what difference does it make?
Who wants to listen to an engine running for a hour plus with all that exhaust smoke entering your cabin and your lungs for that matter.
I am hereby starting an online poll which I intend on sending to the Broads Authority and the local MP urging these people to enforce a complete ban on people running engines at moorings unless it is a mechanical repair being conducted (Byelaw 72).
People run their engines so they can have a shower....tough! Take a trip down the river and when you engine has heated the water up you can have a shower at your next stop.
Batteries need charging? Well you have started your engines so same applies, take a boat trip and charge them up.
Sign the poll today and let's get this safety issue and nuisance handled once and for all!

Liveaboard or liveathome?.....that is the question

High Seas

Re: Enough Is Enough! - Running Engines - Sign The Poll!

Post by High Seas » August 7th, 2017, 11:38 am

I am in, enough is enough.
There is no need for it at all.
Share this on social media folks.
Lets make the Broads great again!...sorry Donald. :lol:

High Seas
Site Admin

Post by High Seas » August 7th, 2017, 1:13 pm

:D Spread The Word People!...stick it on Facebook. ;)

Spindrift

Post by Spindrift » December 21st, 2017, 12:20 pm

Yes, enough is enough. A few years ago at Ludham Bridge I had my boat filled with choking diesel fumes by an inconsiderate hirer apparently so they could have a shower. If I did not have a sense of smell as quite a number of unfortunate people I could have collapsed and died from CO poisoning!

When common sense does not prevail then byelaws should take over.

Enough is enough.

Regards.

Alan.

Waylander

Post by Waylander » December 21st, 2017, 6:01 pm

Im in too although you might want to amend it to " in season time" because I'm stationary at the mo due to injury, yes Miles I did hurt back yesterday.... Found I couldn't move this morning without a lot of painkillers! So have run my engine today for half an hour as no sun for solar panel! But, I did do it with no dog walkers around and it was dark and only for half an hour because that's all I need. But I could see some do gooder reporting me for breaking the new law! But other wise I'm in too! Will it stop the all male parties anchoring mid broad and running engine all night so they can play music loud all night? Then I'm definately in!!!
Let the world flood! I live on a boat! :lol:

Hylander

Post by Hylander » December 22nd, 2017, 7:41 am

I am with you here Waylander, there are times when you have to run your engine. You cannot have a blanket ban on running an engine!! When we hired Simmoon from Silverline the only way you could open and close the sliding roof is to run the engine. Electric boats (I have never hired one) I do believe run their engines and generators through no fault of there own, it is when they switch something on. Saying all this we never run our engine unless absolutely necessary. If not moored on an end with engine next to nobody we would approach the boat behind and explain. Education is what is needed when a hirer or even a privateer takes over a boat, they have no idea of what distress these fumes can cause. There again smokey chimneys are just as much a pest in my view. Nothing worse than being smoked out.

High Seas
Site Admin

Post by High Seas » December 22nd, 2017, 10:08 am

I never had a problem with chimneys other than at Whitlingham one day. I don't know what was being burnt in there but all the rowers were stopping as they thought the boat was on fire.
The secret to wood stoves is to burn seasoned wood and better still hard wood. People actually tell you how nice it smells when do that.I ain't kidding.

Waylander

Post by Waylander » December 22nd, 2017, 10:41 pm

What about webasto and eberspatcher heaters? Have you seen the amount of damage their hot exhaust can do to a boat moored along side them?
I met a chap on a hire cruiser, a big hire sleep aboard top of the range hybrid electric cruiser! It was completely silent as he passed me. I asked him how long it will go for and he stopped and reversed back to where I was, no engine noise or clunks as it went into gear perfectly silent! He said, doing roughly 5 mph the batteries last 4 hours and then a generator starts up automatically to charge the batteries up. He said you can run the generator all the time for propulsion but what was the point of hiring an electric boat if you were going to run genny. One of the drawbacks he also said was sometimes in middle of the night if he went to the loo the genny starts up when he switches a light on... So they were using candles and torches to save annoying other boats. So great idea but has its downsides!

Plus I know a few people on American built sports cruisers that have electric cookers and when they switch the cooker on the genny or main engine starts up. Plus as mentioned above the electric canopy mech that needs engine for electricity to power it.

Technology is getting there but not quite there yet. Like my electric bike, lithium battery and gives you 12 miles to a full 24v (11.4ah) but takes 9 hours to charge it! Although that was the first battery which lasted a year, second battery is German, cost £165 and is 8.8ah and will charge in 3 hours from my genny ( I charge everything that needs charging on the day I'm doing a clothes wash in washing machine) It's the batteries that let us down, electric boats and cars etc all need charging and on a boat to charge something for 9 hours you will be cruising an awful lot to get that in. Ok plug into shore power so done overnight and you are fine but we know what it's like getting power in the summer or access to power. If everyone went electric there ain't enough charging points on the rivers.
Let the world flood! I live on a boat! :lol:

High Seas
Site Admin

Post by High Seas » December 22nd, 2017, 10:47 pm

there ain't enough charging points on the rivers.
Would that be the ones covered up and disconnected during the winter?
Or the ones disconnected for the Trump visit?

Hylander

Post by Hylander » December 23rd, 2017, 7:13 am

High Seas wrote:
December 22nd, 2017, 10:47 pm
there ain't enough charging points on the rivers.
Would that be the ones covered up and disconnected during the winter?
Or the ones disconnected for the Trump visit?
I know the fashion is to blame Trump for everything but covered up leccy boxes?