Click here to find out more on Amazon.

Embracing Winter: A Boat Dweller's Journey On The Norfolk Broads

Vlog series on Youtube
Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles »

As the new week unfolds, I find myself on my boat, greeted by the gentle touch of snowflakes. Winter has wrapped its icy fingers around the vessel, presenting both challenges and opportunities. Today, I delve into the intricacies of boat life during the colder months, sharing insights, challenges, and a touch of resourcefulness.

Navigating Winter Challenges - Dealing with the Elements

Monday's chill sets the tone for the week. The boat's roof is adorned with snow, creating a picturesque scene. Yet, amidst the beauty lies the frustration of working on a boat in icy waters. The constant threat of an unexpected collision with another vessel in the water adds an extra layer of difficulty.

Perspex Epiphany

One of my recent challenges involves working with perspex, particularly its thickness. Experimenting with different tools, I discovered the art of snapping it cleanly, a revelation that promises cost savings. The precision required for this task taps into my obsessive-compulsive nature, pushing me to seek perfection in every cut.

Winter Survival Tactics - Library Retreats

Living on a boat during winter necessitates clever solutions. Accessing computers in local libraries becomes a crucial resource. Libraries provide a haven for browsing and staying connected, especially in areas like Suffolk.

Warming Strategies

The biting cold of winter is an ever-present companion on the boat. Utilising the onboard burner becomes essential for staying warm.

Mast Endeavours - Rigging Adventures

As winter unfolds, the focus shifts to boat maintenance. Rigging becomes a meticulous task, requiring precision and patience. Filming the process, I share the intricacies of servicing the roller furling and the complexities of replacing steel threads. The anticipation of hoisting the mast adds an element of excitement to the boat-dwelling routine.

Unveiling Challenges

Navigating through bridges and securing a spot with electricity for crucial tasks presents challenges. An unexpected delay due to missing equipment emphasises the intricacies of boat life. However, the setbacks only fuel the anticipation of raising the mast, a momentous occasion in the boat dweller's calendar.

Waste Management Musings - Boat Life and Waste

As I ponder waste management, the lack of designated bins for boat waste becomes apparent. A plea to authorities echoes through my words, urging a common-sense approach to waste management.

In the heart of winter, life on a boat unfolds with its unique challenges and joys. From battling the elements to mastering the art of perspex cutting, each day brings new lessons. As I raise a glass to a successful mast hoisting, the journey continues, navigating the winter waters with resilience and resourcefulness. Cheers to the warmth of the burner and the adventures that winter on a boat brings.
Webmaster of the Norfolk Broads Forum