You'll Never Guess What?

The Norfolk Broads is famous worldwide for its hire boat industry. Post your questions, answers, or experiences relating to Norfolk Broads boat hire here!
Dances With Otters
Site Admin

You'll Never Guess What?

Post by Dances With Otters » October 27th, 2017, 12:21 pm

Hit by another effing hire boat. Not even a word of apology out of all useless crew.
2017-10-27_12-18-50.jpg

⛵ Euneda, Euneda Boat ⛵

nimue

Re: You'll Never Guess What?

Post by nimue » October 27th, 2017, 12:32 pm

You'd think that this time of year there would be plenty of room for them to avoid us.
Why do we seem to become magnets to them???

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » October 27th, 2017, 12:36 pm

A policeman I worked with years ago said there is a phenomenon where people will steer a car into the one thing they are trying to avoid hitting. Can't remember what he called it but he implied it came about by people being visually fixated by an object when about to have a collision.
However, with hire boats it is more likely down to well here's your keys, cheerio.
⛵ Euneda, Euneda Boat ⛵

nimue

Post by nimue » October 27th, 2017, 12:51 pm

Yes, I've heard of that.
When I was racing I had to learn go against that feeling, otherwise it was going to hurt! Corners have barriers which feel like they are trying to suck you into them.

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » October 27th, 2017, 2:38 pm

Apparently in other countries the problem is kept under control. 8-)
⛵ Euneda, Euneda Boat ⛵

Rick H

Post by Rick H » October 28th, 2017, 12:16 pm

Bloody hell its contagious , 7.40am n I got a really hard smack off a silver line Boat 😟 , no damage though , rang the yard and explained and while they were OK I did get the feeling that they wanted me off the phone and left it to me to report no damage ie they didn't ask if my boat had suffered in anyway 😟 , that should be there first question not what boat it was ! , and no I didn't get an apology they just left , I was hardly likely ti be asleep after a smack like that though , yard was once again informed of the importance of stopping and if req exchanging details with which they agreed thank goodness .
Last edited by Rick H on October 28th, 2017, 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » October 28th, 2017, 12:19 pm

Sorry to hear you have got a hard sack? :o Must be painful walking
⛵ Euneda, Euneda Boat ⛵

Hylander

Post by Hylander » October 28th, 2017, 1:21 pm

Lord above what is wrong with people. Sounds to me as if they all should go to specsavers or more to the point pay attention to what they are doing , which is supposedly helming a boat. We got hit years ago while in a hire boat on a very wide river , you could have put money on it that it would never happen there and it seems at the time although going full pelt there was no one at the helm at all. To boot they were all in their 50s. I was on our boat , hubby was fishing on the bank, within seconds I was off to Norwich having just opened an rather expensive bottle of Champers ( it was our anniversary) along with the Rhond irons which had been ripped out and most of hubbies fishing tackle. Quite a quiet chap my hubby but he went ballistic that day. The boat was a complete mess , sticky Champagne everywhere, glasses , you name it gone for a Burton scattered around the boat. I did manage to start it and bring her round wondering all the time about topes in the river. I dont think I stopped shaking for two days and have never ever got over the fear of someone doing the same thing again.