Click here to find out more on Amazon.

Navigating Troubles: The Risks of Large Hire Boats on the Norfolk Broads

Vlog series on Youtube
Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles »

Less than 60 minutes ago, an unfortunate incident unfolded on the tranquil waters of the Norfolk Broads, specifically at Sutton Staithe. Two hire boats collided, resulting in significant damage. Shockingly, I found myself on one of those boats at the time.

As the collision occurred, I quickly opened the hatch, urgently calling for the other boat to halt. Shouting was necessary to capture their attention, and fortunately, they complied. A person emerged from the back of the boat, and I immediately conveyed the need to stop for a damage assessment. Upon questioning, I discovered there were four individuals on their vessel, none of whom were paying attention to their surroundings.

Once I completed the inspection for damages on both boats, I had to turn my vessel around. Upon approaching the other boat again, I encountered reluctance from the occupants to come out or even approach the window. Frustrated by their non-cooperation, I instructed my girlfriend to start filming, hoping to encourage them to engage.

After several minutes of resistance, a lady finally emerged from the window. Their response was far from satisfactory, stating they intended to moor up elsewhere and return later. However, they never returned, leaving the scene without addressing the damage they caused.

In this article, we refrain from mentioning specific company names involved in the incident. Instead, our focus is on shedding light on a pervasive issue with large hire boats on the Norfolk Broads.

The problem at hand raises questions about the adequacy of training provided to individuals renting these vessels. The incident involving the hire boat from a Horning-based rental company, which is several hours away, highlights concerns about the experience level of those entrusted with such sizable vessels. Is it reasonable to expect someone to effectively navigate a boat of that magnitude within a short timeframe? This incident suggests otherwise.

Towards the end of the encounter, frustration escalated, and a plea for dialogue was met with evasion. The broader concern extends beyond this singular incident, prompting us to question the oversight of the Broads Authority and the hire boat industry in addressing safety concerns.

The crucial query arises: What will it take for the relevant authorities to acknowledge and rectify the issues surrounding large hire boats on the Norfolk Broads? Must we wait for a tragedy, resulting in loss of life or injuries, before proactive measures are taken?

The urgency is clear – the problem demands immediate attention. Neglecting the issue not only jeopardises the safety of those on the water but also perpetuates a cycle of irresponsibility that impacts other boat owners. It is time for the Broads Authority and the hire boat industry to collaborate on implementing effective measures to ensure the safety of all navigating these picturesque waterways.
Webmaster of the Norfolk Broads Forum