• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome To Norfolk Broads Forum.
    This website is created by the producer of Sailing High Seas Youtube channel.

Speeding from the outset.

An unofficial portal to direct your questions to the Broads Authority about the management of the Norfolk Broads.
Miles
Site Admin

Re: Speeding from the outset.

Post by Miles » April 22nd, 2019, 9:06 am

I wish I had filmed this boat the other day, hits three boats and then tells me to f*** off.
Sounds like you have a favourable response, I hope it gets positive change. Hell knows this place needs it.

⛵ Life is short, even on its longest day ⛵

lgwarren

Post by lgwarren » April 22nd, 2019, 9:09 am

Only favourable Miles if they do what they say. At least I have it in black and white.

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » April 22nd, 2019, 10:59 am

I think relying on public videos states a bigger issue too, it says they want self moderation by the public but they are non democratic from the start.
If they don't increase rangers on the waterways then the problems will remain.
I bet they have had total carnage this week.

Hylander

Post by Hylander » April 22nd, 2019, 2:05 pm

Well we duly moved our boat Down South to St Olaves for about 3 years before ill health came along and we had to sell our boat. I guess we were lucky, saying that hubby used to have forty fits and was always telling boats to slow down. I have recalled before the only genuine accident ever seen there was when a chap (big old boy too) accidentally fell down steps by the helm in the boat and dislocated his shoulder , just him and his son on board and son really had not got a clue (no youngster) and the hire boat careered off into the moored boats. Poor chap was in agony and holiday came to an end. It was the first time out since this chaps wife and the son's Mum had died so doubly tragic. Then you get the Gung-ho brigade who are just bloody minded and could not care less.

Luna

Post by Luna » April 22nd, 2019, 6:21 pm

Many of the boaters in hire craft will have little experience and have to learn on the hoof. Navigating these boats is a learnt skill and while I believe they should take more care, more importantly they should have more tuition and even a controlled assessment through a course.
I’m a sailor and twice this last week I was told I was on the wrong side of the river. That tells me that they didn’t read the hand book.
Assessing your speed by watching the bank go by isn’t very reliable and so far as I know very few boats are equipped with speedometers. Again, it’s learnt over time. I did a check just outside of Horning for 5mph and found that although I felt it to fast, I wasn’t anywhere near speeding so could’ve gone faster. (I had an engine too, not just sails). If you’re used to road speeds with 10mph between limits to then take that down to 1mph with perhaps little understanding for the limits and their importance then I honestly think they’ve no idea that they’re out of order. It happens with private boats too. Overtaken in Potter Heigham only yesterday doing easily double my speed.
I think the hire companies need to take more responsibility for their hirers. If they were fined when their hirers were I think they would be more inclined to emphasise the rules from the start. Maybe even hold a rule breaking deposit to deter offending and a damage deposit like with hire cars

lgwarren

Post by lgwarren » April 23rd, 2019, 9:16 am

I agree Hylander that there are not many "genuine accidents" that were unavoidable. Most of the problems come from pure inexperienced, and worse, uncaring boaters. I also agree wholeheartedly with Luna. As far as speedometers go, most people can get one on their mobile phone quite easily now and it should be a firm request by all boatyards for their clients to download one. A lot of the hire boats have Wifi now. I also think that like Miles, self policing is fraught with danger, particularly with aggressive people. What should happen is that there should be a "no tolerance" policy by the BA.

Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles » April 25th, 2019, 1:15 pm

I don't get down to the South Broads these days and really must try soon as I do enjoy it.
I used to go up and down all the time and I must confess I never got whacked once.
There is probably a few reasons for this but I am still scratching my head as to why :roll:

Aboattime

Post by Aboattime » April 26th, 2019, 3:13 pm

Im not sure that the BA are really interested in stopping people speeding on the Broads. Over the Easter weekend we cruised from Horning to Cottishall,and it was the usual M25 free for all between Wroxham and Horning,the vast majority of boats speeding on this stretch of river,and where did we see the BA launch? Up stream of Wroxham bridge mud weighting close to Caen meadow??Is this the new speeding hot spot on the Bure? :shock:

David

Post by David » April 26th, 2019, 7:24 pm

We passed him Saturday morning and I am sure he was asleep
A boat makes a big hole in the water in to which you throw money

lgwarren

Post by lgwarren » May 5th, 2019, 8:10 pm

Miles I posted a video on youtube. I need some editing practice, but it shows 5 boats over a 5 minute period on the 8th October last year.