Click here to find out more on Amazon.

Navigating Challenges: A Boat Repair Journey in Norwich

Vlog series on Youtube
Miles
Site Admin

Post by Miles »

This morning presented a bit of a setback for me. I had the misfortune of discovering an issue with my boat while it was docked in Norwich. Having only been in the area for a couple of days, I initially thought it was a minor problem. Little did I know, I was in for a more significant challenge.

Upon pulling the boat out of the water, I noticed an old mutt wrapped around the propeller. While I successfully removed the rope, it became apparent that the key lock on the propeller was causing trouble. The propeller seemed functional, but the boat wasn't responding as it should.

Recalling a key lock metal length on the prop shaft, I suspected that might be the culprit. However, confirmation would have to wait until I could dive into the water with a mask. As the boat lay helpless, I couldn't help but feel the weight of the situation.

Seeking Solutions: A Sailing Club's Generosity

Amidst this maritime crisis, a sailing club behind me offered a glimmer of hope. The kind soul there allowed me to use their slipway in the morning. Optimism mingled with uncertainty as I considered the prospect of solving this conundrum.

After some exploration, I found a suitable location for beaching the boat. However, the slope wasn't conducive to the needed repairs. The decision was made to turn the boat around, a task not without its challenges. Concerns about the seals and the weight distribution on the rudder added to the complexity.

Propeller Predicament Unveiled

The next hurdle was the propeller removal. The rudder, stuck in the mud, necessitated floating the boat to turn it and access the propeller. Upon inspection, it became apparent that the propeller had suffered significant damage. One blade was notably banged up, and the keyway showed signs of wear, causing slippage.

Online, I found a solution—an oversized key that could be cut to size. However, the damaged propeller required replacement. The quest for a new propeller became an inevitable expense, adding another layer to the intricate tapestry of boat life.

Hope on the Horizon: Repairing vs. Replacing

With the propeller finally detached, the extent of the damage became clearer. Each blade had endured its share of knocks. Thoughts of a new propeller loomed, bringing with them the anticipation of a £200 expense. However, a conversation with a knowledgeable individual suggested a potential alternative—repair.

Sending photos to a recommended company opened the door to the possibility of fixing the damaged propeller. While waiting for their response, I pondered the economics of the situation. Being on a mooring in Norwich proved advantageous, allowing me to strategize without being a hindrance.

Tackling Taper: A Tutorial in Boat Repairs

In the midst of this boat repair saga, I took the opportunity to share some insights. I demonstrated how to determine the taper of a propeller, crucial information for selecting the right replacement. Metric measurements and Imperial calculations danced together as I explained the process step by step.

A New Dawn: Installing the Fresh Propeller

Fast forward to an early Thursday morning in October 2015. The boat, now positioned along the bank at Commissioner's Cut, was ready for its new propeller. The tide, a crucial player in this maritime symphony, dictated the timing.

The new propeller, marked with vibrant red anti-foul indicators, showcased a snug fit. This time, the keyway was brand new, ensuring a tight connection. As the tide gradually rose, the moment of truth arrived. The engine roared to life, signalling the successful resolution of the propeller ordeal.

Conclusion: Sailing Onward

In conclusion, the challenges faced in Norwich turned into a learning experience. The propeller breakdown, though initially daunting, ended with a positive resolution at Commissioner's Cut. If you enjoyed this narrative of nautical trials and triumphs, remember to like and subscribe. Stay tuned for more tales from my boating adventures. Thank you for navigating this journey with me. #Norfolk #Broads
Webmaster of the Norfolk Broads Forum