• Administrator
  •  
    Advertising Is FREE On This Forum!
    You Can Support This Forum By Clicking The Advertisements.

Norwich Cathedral Peat Usage.

Little known and interesting nautical and marine topics.
High Seas

Norwich Cathedral Peat Usage.

Post by High Seas » August 14th, 2017, 10:12 pm

According to Wikipedia, Norwich Cathedral used to take 320,000 tonnes of peat a year.

Terry

Re: Norwich Cathedral Peat Usage.

Post by Terry » August 14th, 2017, 10:53 pm

OK, I'll be the one to ask: what it was used for?

And am I also to infer that we, bizarrely, have archaic organised religion to thank for the existence of The Broads?
I've got wild staring eyes, and I've got a strong urge to fly ... but I've got nowhere to fly to

High Seas

Post by High Seas » August 14th, 2017, 11:08 pm

I would have to say that at some point in time, somebody somewhere made a lot of money out of peat and I got a funny feeling it would have been the monks. It certainly was not the scilons.

High Seas

Post by High Seas » August 15th, 2017, 12:04 am

Just found this online:
Norfolk has 659 medieval churches - the highest concentration in the world. Of these, 125 have round towers - more than any other county in the UK. (Suffolk has 42, Essex 7, Sussex 3, Cambridgeshire 2 and Berkshire 2.)
For peats sake! ;)

BEN

Post by BEN » August 15th, 2017, 8:09 am

I suspect that the cathedral was selling the peat to the people of Norwich (and elsewhere), as part of an arrangement with St Benets Abbey, as the Abbey controlled most of the Broads. The monastery system was a great money making system for the Church. St Benets was never closed by Henry 8th so it legally still exists and comes under the control of the cathedral. Hence the annual church service at the Abbey, which occurred in the last few weeks...

Until the advent of coal being available, where you didn't have enough trees for firewood then you used peat to burn. you cut it in the spring and summer leaving it stacked up to dry. then burn it through the winter... This is still the case in the Hebridies where peat is burnt by all the locals...

There is a book written in the late 1800s which reports that locals around the broads were still cutting and burning peat then.

Dances With Otters
Site Admin

Post by Dances With Otters » August 15th, 2017, 8:23 am

Wouldn't surprise me if people burnt it up until just recently. Such a flat area and winter winds must have been hideous at times but with a bounty of fuel to burn.
⛵ Euneda, Euneda Boat ⛵