'The Norfolk Broads Phenomenon'

is available on Amazon in ebook format.

Click here to find out more on Amazon.

Unveiling a Game Changing Solution for Leaky Boat Windows

Articles and videos about boat restoration and maintenance.
Miles
Site Admin

Unveiling a Game Changing Solution for Leaky Boat Windows

Post by Miles »

Unveiling a Game-Changing Solution for Leaky Boat Windows

Greetings, I'm Miles from the YouTube channel, and today we find ourselves navigating the tranquil waters of the Norfolk Broads. During this picturesque setting, a novel idea has dawned upon me - and no, I'm not about to embark on writing a book. Allow me to elucidate.

The crux of the matter revolves around the exasperating challenges posed by deck fittings and windows on boats. There's no sugarcoating it; they are an absolute nightmare. But fear not, for I've stumbled upon an ingenious solution inspired by a feature commonly found on caravans - the J-section aluminium gutter.

This gutter, ingeniously designed to divert water away from windows, ensures a clear view even during a downpour. The question arose: why not implement a similar system on boats? The logic is twofold - firstly, to enable an unobstructed view through the window, and secondly, to mitigate the risks of leaks by directing water away from the window.

In this video, we embark on a journey to explore a simple yet effective remedy for those vexing leaks plaguing boat windows. Let's delve into the details and see if this innovation stands up to the test.

The implementation of this solution has left me elated. Initially concerned about its aesthetics, I extended the gutter by three inches on each side. This precaution accounts for the subtle movements that boats make, ensuring that rainwater doesn't cascade down the back and create a mess. Visually, I find the design to be seamless, and I'm confident it won't look out of place.

Sometimes, ideas just click into place effortlessly, and this, I believe, is one such instance. The primary objective is to let rainwater cascade down harmlessly, preventing any potential leaks if the window seals were to fail. Additionally, it guarantees that you can gaze out of your boat window even when the heavens decide to open up. Truly, these are happy days for boat enthusiasts.

As I bask in the success of this concept, the next step involves procuring the appropriate screws for the installation. Opting for stainless steel pan heads, I aim to secure the gutter with precision. To further fortify this setup, I plan to use a sealant commonly employed for deck fittings and through-hull fittings. While it might seem a bit over-the-top, if it can keep water at bay beneath a boat, it's undoubtedly robust enough for this application.

In conclusion, the meticulous planning and execution of this idea bring a sense of satisfaction. As I order the necessary screws and prepare for the installation, I eagerly anticipate a future free from the woes of leaky boat windows. After all, isn't it gratifying when everything falls into place seamlessly?
Webmaster of the Norfolk Broads Forum